choice of bow

Yew Selfbow

Kieran
When you say your "looking for either a recurve or compound bow", it tends to suggest you're in two minds as to which one you'd prefer to shoot. I'm assuming you're a member of an archery club and have completed a beginners course. So maybe it would be helpful to your purchasing decision if you were to narrow it down to one or the other because I'm sure you're aware that recurves and compounds are as different as chalk and cheese.

fanio

even used you'll struggle to get anything decent for that price - but you might get lucky. yewselfbow offers some good advice, though.

Stikphlinger

Hi Kieran

You say you're 14. As Yew Selfbow mentioned, are you a member of an archery club already? Have you done a beginners course? If not then I'd save your ?100 for a bit. Many clubs will loan or rent basic recurve bows suitable for beginners, plenty good enough for at least your first 6 months to a year and you'll get advice from experienced folks on the best bow for you as you progress. By then you may have built up some more money (birthday / Xmas etc) to have the ?200 - ?300 that will get you a better quality recurve and other equipment, or an entry level compound.

If you weren't planning on joining a club, then I'd strongly recommend that you do if archery is going to be an interest worthy of investing your money in. Unless your family owns a lot of land, shooting in the average back garden or in public places is an accident waiting to happen and could get you into serious trouble.

Enjoy your archery

Craftsman

I would wait until you have got over the advent of dating.

The number of young members, keen as mustard at first, who fail to turn up after meeting members of the opposite sex, never ceases to amaze me!!
(Unless you find one within the sport!!)

Kieran101

Kieran
When you say your "looking for either a recurve or compound bow", it tends to suggest you're in two minds as to which one you'd prefer to shoot. I'm assuming you're a member of an archery club and have completed a beginners course. So maybe it would be helpful to your purchasing decision if you were to narrow it down to one or the other because I'm sure you're aware that recurves and compounds are as different as chalk and cheese.
i think i am going to go for a recurve bow

philhoney

Hi Kieran,
Have you done a beginners course with a club yet? Have you joined a club?
I got interested in archery about 2 1/2 yrs ago along with my son and 2 grandaughters. I bought bows for the four of us without even knowing there were clubs in my area and made quite a few mistakes. The bows I bought just about got us through the beginners course but were in reality toys. Within 6 months of joining the club we had learned enough and been given lots of good advice about which bows we should be looking for.
Let us know how much experience you have and whether or not you are in touch with a club and everyone here will be able to help you a lot more.
Phil