Choosing a sight

Hi folks,

I bought a decut sight less than a year ago and the sight block broke yesterday (first arrow of the day - grrr)

So, what do people recommend? Ideally, looking between 50 quid and 150....but would consider going more if it was going to give me a competitive advantage.

Are there some sights which use fibre optics? Is this something I should look at? Any advice welcomed

Corax67

Are you looking for a recurve or compound sight?

On my recurve is a Shibuya Dual Click - been on there 4 years, first and only sight I've bought for the bow, they've come down in price into the sub ?150 range too. Has the standard Shibuya pin on for outdoors but I swap to a Shibuya fibre optic pin (on a spare sight block) when I go indoors as I struggle a little with shooting in artificial light. Nothing has ever vibrated loose or broken despite a heck of a lot of shooting in all weathers. I would replace it with an identical one in a moment if something happened to it.

On the compound I use is a 10 year old Copper John A.N.T.S 2 with a Sure-Loc sight & Nikon lens - it is gorgeously smooth to adjust, gives an incredibly clear sight picture and never creeps during shooting. I know all compound sights are costly but this one is amazing.

Karl

Sorry. Should havqe said - its recurve.

Been chatting to a couple of folk in the club and they mentioned excel and shibuya but both models a bit above my budget (although the credit card could take the hit for a bit more).. just not sure if it's worth it?

Just to add, most of the kit I've bought is bought with the premise that I buy good stuff I won't need to replace it, so accept it might be pricier

Corax67

Quickly googled the Dual Click and found 5 stores selling them for between ?125 - ?135.

The benefit of spending big just once on a really good sight is that it can be fitted to any riser you buy in the future as you upgrade your kit without fear of losing any performance advantages.

It is a big hit on the wallet but factored over 10 years use it's only ?13 per year and they hold their resale value really well if you ever stop archery, although that would just be madness wouldn't it :)

Karl

ThomVis

Decide if you want locking bolts on your sight when adjusting range/windage. I know for myself, no locking bolts. I either forget to loosen them before adjusting, or tighten them after, and don't want to worry if/when they come loose during a shoot.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Either get a bog standard cartel beginners sight, cheap as chips, or get a Shibuya. All of the intermediate sights I have experience of, and that's quite a few, either break, or shake themselves apart within a few weeks. I bought a carbon Shibuya sight 2 years ago and have never had to adjust or tighten any of it. They really are a great example of buy nice or buy twice.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
If you can get hold of a Spigarelli Carbon 30, an Angel recurve sight or an AGF second hand they'll be well within your budget, rock steady and, if you like that kind of thing, keep the mass of the sight closer to the riser.

tan.k.sun.7

Either get a bog standard cartel beginners sight, cheap as chips, or get a Shibuya. All of the intermediate sights I have experience of, and that's quite a few, either break, or shake themselves apart within a few weeks. I bought a carbon Shibuya sight 2 years ago and have never had to adjust or tighten any of it. They really are a great example of buy nice or buy twice.
Agree. I got the Shibuya RC Carbon sights. Way better than the SF sight before it. The SF will always shake loose. Never on the Shibuya. My only wish was that I?ve bitten the cost bullet and got the Shibuya in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. Firstly thank you to all who replied here. Much appreciated and good to get advice.

Update:

Contacted the archery shop about my broken sight and they have got a part foc from supplier. Which is great of them. I've also ordered the shibuya carbon. Combined recommendations of people here and in club swung it. The price is sire but that's what credit cards are for, I guess and hopefully will get a good few years out of it.

Thanks again