Competition Rules

Craig P

After a little clarification without going into too many details,
A competition takes place....
Senior mens round is the York....
one team of 4 shoot the york....combines score
other team has 2 seniors shooting york and 2 "novices" shooting Hereford......combines score
is this legal? should there have been a handicap?
any thoughts?

Mufti

Sounds like something you should take up with the tournament organiser.
Hanging out dirty washing is never nice for others to see.

I know that sounds harsh and callous, but it is all too easy to come across as bitter and twisted.

Archery is full of petty politics, see the bigger picture - did you enjoy the shooting and the company of the other archers? Did you shoot your very best and will you be a better person for the experience?

pelican

In my experience, what prizes are given in competitions are decided beforehand, so to be a prize based on handicaps rather than straight scores would have been on entry form. If this was not the case, then really, it was your clubs choice to have a team that consisted of two novices rather than experienced archers. Had you been asked to submit your handicap on the entry form? If not then there wouldn't be a handicap based prize!

Regarding your question should there have been a handicap, then not necessaarily, I've been to loads of competitions and only a couple have hanicap based medals, not for teams but individuals. For you to suggest something may be "illegal" is plain wrong. Check again what the entry form said re prizes awarded, that's my advice.

Craig P

Entry was simple 4 v 4 no mention of different rounds being shot before results were issued. Match traditionaly a York
no sour grapes from me i wasnt one of either 4 just wondered if this was norm to scratch score or should have been handicapped to even the outcome.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I t is the norm to mix york & hereford score's when it is men/women respectively, but not usually allowed if it is a man shooting the hereford. Most teams usually call for a lady or a junior in the mix but all should be shooting at their longest appropriate distance :beer:

Furface

Supporter
It is entirely down to the local rules of the competition. If they state "4 scores" then it can be just that; if it's 4 Yorks, then...

JonathanHorner

Fonz Awardee
You are not quite clear as to the gender or age of the novices, and in my opinion this is crucial. If they were juniors or females then this would be allowed in all of the team comps we run, but if they were gents then it wouldnt.

Cheers

Jonathan

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Well, it's up to the organiser to make and apply the criteria for the team prizes. BUT they should be clearly stated on the entry forms, to avoid any confusion/comeback/favouritism...

MrM

We went to a junior competition recently where two of our Juniors shot up by 2 and 4 distances and the organisers wouldn't allow their scores to be counted for the team prize because they weren't shooting the correct distances for their ages! And we would have won if they had!