Crooked String on Limb Tip

deadb0y

Evening Boys and Girls,

I've got an issue with my Kaya Khan..
IMG_20191223_155300.jpg

As you can see the string keeps returning home in the wrong position.. I've tried unwinding each loop of the string to no avail. It still does this. The brace height is correct so I don't think it's the center part of the string being "over wound" ... I've tried unwinding and winding up both loops to see if it makes any difference and it didn't seem to??

Has anyone seen anything like this on this style of bow??

Cheers

DB

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you watch the video you might see that the string loop is longer than yours, also there is a narrow ridge down the limb tip that the string sits astride. That ridge is quite narrow all the way along and is dead centre down the limb tip.; keeping the string loop apart and sitting one half on each side. Yours looks very low and quite wide at the bottom end.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Have you looked down the bow when strung to see if the limb tip is twisted off to one side?

deadb0y

Have you looked down the bow when strung to see if the limb tip is twisted off to one side?
Yes I have but I can't really see anything out of shape.. It's a bit wobbly both ends to be honest :(

If you watch the video you might see that the string loop is longer than yours, also there is a narrow ridge down the limb tip that the string sits astride. That ridge is quite narrow all the way along and is dead centre down the limb tip.; keeping the string loop apart and sitting one half on each side. Yours looks very low and quite wide at the bottom end.
Yeah.,.. I erm.. I know the bloke in that video quite well!

Berny

Think the two suggestions/observations so far cover it:
- the string has too many twists in it which propagate into the loops - untwist it some more & try again;
- the limb may be twisted - try counter twisting.
You say the brace height is correct - what is it supposed to be & what do you have it at?
How about a picture of it braced for us to see please:
1. showing brace height.
2. along string-limbs to look for potential twisted limb.
What draw weight is it?
Do/have you leave/left it strung?

Berny

Some Khans have string bridges! You don't appear to have one (or both)?
Have you lost them? Were they ever there?
Tell us more about the history of your bow pls?

see here, you can just see the string bridges!

Last edited:

deadb0y

Think the two suggestions/observations so far cover it:
- the string has too many twists in it which propagate into the loops - untwist it some more & try again;
- the limb may be twisted - try counter twisting.
You say the brace height is correct - what is it supposed to be & what do you have it at?
How about a picture of it braced for us to see please:
1. showing brace height.
2. along string-limbs to look for potential twisted limb.
What draw weight is it?
Do/have you leave/left it strung?
When I originally bought it it was braced to 6". It's still 6" now give or take 1/16 (inferring that someone doesn't know how to measure brace height by asking for photgraphic evidence is a we tad insulting too)...
I can't see away to take a photo that would actually show whether or not the bow is twisted. If you lay it on a flat surface one end seems higher, flip it over and the other end seems higher. That's what I mean by wobbly, the leather handle gets in the way of measuring by straight edge. I've had 5 or 6 archers look at it already and none of us could see any twist when the bow is unstrung.

String it and draw it a few times and boom.. The twist is back!

I can't see how the draw weight would make a blind bit of difference, can you enlighten me?
Yes, its been strung for almost it's entire life, it could have had this fault it's entire life and I've never noticed until today!

Some Khans have string bridges! You don't appear to have one (or both)?
Have you lost them? Were they ever there?
Tell us more about the history of your bow pls?

see here, you can just see the string bridges!
No, it never had string bridges...

olis

Supporter
Supporter
Obvious question: how does it shoot?
I have a traditional recurve bow that has a slight twist in the upper limb, which did worry me when I first noticed it. But actually it shoots fine. Maybe this is a similar problem?

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I have a traditional recurve bow that has a slight twist in the upper limb, which did worry me when I first noticed it. But actually it shoots fine. Maybe this is a similar problem?
I have a Black Hunter take down hybrid bow which came with a slightly twisted upper limb. The seller sent me another pair of perfect limbs but if anything, the limbs with the slight twist shoot better. Strange but true.

deadb0y

It shoots great (as far as I can tell)... I did suddenly realise this morning (after my wife accidentally punched me in the eye and I was desperately concentrating on returning the favor only to find out later that she'd also bought me a second hand Christmas present (oooo, can this day get any better??)) that this was the first time the bow had been outside in it's entire life!

I've spent some time twisting it back the other way and it seems to be holding now it's back in the warm again. Maybe it was just a stress reaction to being taken out in the cold :)

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I'm under the impression these bows are not designed to be permanently strung.
When we get an odd picture and little info do expect odd questions so you shouldn't be offended if you are questioned about things that seem obvious to you.
It does sound like you have a twist. It will come back. You'll have to keep an eye on it and keep pushing it the other direction occasionally. How old is the bow? Is it still under warranty?

deadb0y

I'm under the impression these bows are not designed to be permanently strung.
When we get an odd picture and little info do expect odd questions so you shouldn't be offended if you are questioned about things that seem obvious to you.
It does sound like you have a twist. It will come back. You'll have to keep an eye on it and keep pushing it the other direction occasionally. How old is the bow? Is it still under warranty?
I didn't say offended, I said insulted(ing)! There is a BIG difference!

I've twisted it back a few times and it seems to be holding..