Crushed my WA18 PB

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I don't shoot a WA18 round very often, but we had a tournament on Sunday for that round, and I crushed it (from my point of view).
Reduced my handicap by 3 points, and won my handicap class. Got a nice shiny medal for that.
So well happy with all that! PB on WA18 was 354, and in last years tournament I shot 338. This year I shot 426, and 3 10s in the last end (of 3 arrows). I'd set myself a target of 370, so I needed to score at least 19 in every end of 3 arrows.
Started off reasonably well, had a brief moment of glory where I got two consecutive 28-point ends, and then slowly started to dip.
But then, last end, needing 4 points to get 400, I got 3 arrows in the 10, and not just in the 10, but in the X (if we'd been scoring Xs).
Very, very happy to be shooting decently again, I'd been in a hole for such a long time.
County champs in 2 weeks, I'm hoping to make a good account of myself in those.
Oh, and we cleaned up in the raffle too.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Cant beat a good raffle win to round off the day :)

Congratulations on your new PB too.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Well done Emma <hug>

A 72 point increase to your PB is impressive indeed!

Have you identified why the 'dip' happened?

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
A number of things, I think: I had an improvers' archer course at my old club, which I think added a lot of confusing things to think about; a nasty combination of frozen shoulder (on the drawing arm) and tennis elbow (on the riser arm) which meant a substantial drop in draw weight (from 26# to 20#); and we learnt a couple of weeks ago that my arrows were too short, so I couldn't draw fully, but hadn't realised the increase in draw length as my form improved. (In fact, one of the coaches at the new club was horrified at how close I was coming on a regular basis to impaling my own hand.)
A trip to Custom Built, new, longer arrows, and an improvement in health and increase in draw weight, together with a bit of coaching at the new club, and husband watching my form (although he's only been shooting for about 7 months, he's a very experienced sportsman, and had a much more comprehensive beginners course than I did), has resulted in dramatic improvement over the past 3 weeks.
I can't tell you how relieved I am, it was incredibly depressing watching my scores drop through the floor. Shooting 2s and 3s when you know you're a better archer than that is very dispiriting.