Damascus steel for a small knife.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have bought myself a broadhead, made from Damascus steel.
I am told that it should take and keep a good edge, ideal for what I want. I cut leather at times and serving thread, etc.
The broadhead is more or less a shield shape, I am pondering on a good way to fit a handle so that it is good to use and not so dangerous.( bearing in mind it has two edges)
It would be easy enough to make it like a short(very short) dagger. I would hate to do that, just to find out later that there is a better way. Any thoughts would be very welcome.Thanks.

Bald Eagle

Geoff, seems a shame to "bastardise" a broadhead to make a knife when you can buy damascus blades easily from Attleborough Accessories and British knife Collectors Guild. I've made loads and sold them too with a custom leather sheath course!!!!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi BE, I was hoping you would join in with this.
I did look at some knife blades, but they were very long and very expensive. Very beautiful, but not really what I wanted.My idea is to carry it in my archery bag so I can make repairs if necessary. I am hoping to keep the broadhead in tact.
Any thoughts on sharpening?

Bald Eagle

Hi Geoff, depends on the Rockwell hardness of the blade, I use an Arkansas wet stone to get a razor edge, sometimes an ordinary chef's steel, a diamond stone, NEVER a knife sharpener!!!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi BE thanks for that.
I posted two threads, one for those who might be interested in the broadhead from an archery point if view; one for those who might be able to help with my knife.
I have oils tones and diamond files, and am used to sharpening woodworking chisels and woodcarving chisels. Never used Damascus steel;and have no idea of the hardness. The seller tells me he can shave with the one he changed into a knife.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
You got a picture, Geoff?
I keep thinking "broadhead" and the only knife shape which comes to mind is like a saddlers knife, but that's probably not the kind of thing you want...

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Rik,I posted a pic in the other thread.Damascus steel broadhead... in the arrow building section.
I will look up "saddlers knife"... cheers.