Dear Judge, what if . . .

Corax67

see... all sorts of fun and interesting scenarios! :D

Or the one in the latest copy - " Do you find anything wrong or suspicious with this archer’s form and equipment? Once you have
identified the issue, can you explain how you would handle it from a judging perspective?"

now, assuming that by the second sentence that there is something wrong... the only thing I can think of is that the string-stopper *might* be touching the archer's arm at full draw, but it's not very obvious. Though I was surprised at the fact the archers on target 5 got away with leaving their scoreboard where they have!

Is this something to do with the rules concerning "no support" to the bow ?

The wording hints towards a possible deliberate act on the part of the archer requiring intervention.

Karl

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Is this something to do with the rules concerning "no support" to the bow ?

The wording hints towards a possible deliberate act on the part of the archer requiring intervention.

Karl
No, you're only allowed a single point of contact (the grip) and not allowed to have a secondary point of contact with the bow. The usual course of action is, upon checking it's a regular thing to tell the archer (or presumably the coach) that they need to stop.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Archer one has made no fault so 2, 3 & 4 would be unfair.
If these are the only options and archer two does not agree with archer one's recollection of his own score then a rematch is called for?
I partly agree with Mufti - Archer 1 has indeed done nothing wrong - but rather than a rematch I think Archer 2 forfeits because it was wholly his error and there is no way of establishing without any chance of doubt his score to that point.
Karl
The judge at the time went for option 1: disqualified both.

I think the aim was to keep shooting moving (given that neither archer was likely to influence the final result).
It's actually quite difficult to unpick what would have been fair.
A rematch would have probably led to A2 going through (on the balance of form displayed to that point), with no apparent penalty for the mistake.
Just letting A2 through seems obviously wrong, but it was what would probably have happened, barring the error.
Letting A1 through seems odd, because he then benefits from A2's innocent error.

Basically messy.

Corax67

Thanks Rik,

messy indeed - it looks like no matter if you are a judge, referee, umpire or other sporting competition official you have a fiendishly hard job on your hands at times.

At least we are looking at it with the benefit of time to ponder on our side - the judge has no such luxury - love them or loathe them you have to take your hat off to all judges for what must be a thankless task on occasion.

Karl

Mickle

see... all sorts of fun and interesting scenarios! :D

Or the one in the latest copy - " Do you find anything wrong or suspicious with this archer?s form and equipment? Once you have
identified the issue, can you explain how you would handle it from a judging perspective?"

now, assuming that by the second sentence that there is something wrong... the only thing I can think of is that the string-stopper *might* be touching the archer's arm at full draw, but it's not very obvious. Though I was surprised at the fact the archers on target 5 got away with leaving their scoreboard where they have!
Here in France it's normal for the scoresheet to be left at the target, actually it's usually left 3m in front of it. Stops tampering. Perhaps it's the same in other countries?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Here in France it's normal for the scoresheet to be left at the target, actually it's usually left 3m in front of it. Stops tampering. Perhaps it's the same in other countries?
That's not permitted here, in general - scoresheets have to be taken back to the line.

Mickle

Yes I know, having shot lots of comps in both countries I think prefer the French system. Though oddly enough the food's better in the uk, they don't supply bacon butties in the morning!

Corax67

We tend to leave the score sheet folders at the targets on club days but on the line for comps - quite a few of our folders do carry the battle scars of our longbow members' "close but not close enough" attempts :)

Karl

GoneBad

Here's one for you...
In a HTH competition, two archers inexperienced with the format, face each other in the first round.
Two score boards are provided for cross-scoring.
Archer 1 correctly scores his opponent's arrows as they are called.
Archer 2 scores his own arrows.
after a couple of ends Archer 1 notices the scores written down by his opponent do not match his expectations, and understanding dawns - they call a judge.

What would you do?
Re-shoot the match?
Put the one with a score through?
Put the one without a score through?
Disqualify both?
i would have said that since you are not allowed to write down your own arrow scores, archer 2 should have their score voided and archer 1 gets a bye.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
The problem here is where's the proof. Archer 1's word vs archer 2's?
That could be a problem. Although in this case there was no dispute. Everyone agreed on what had happened and simply wanted to know how to deal with it.

jerryRTD

I partly agree with Mufti - Archer 1 has indeed done nothing wrong - but rather than a rematch I think Archer 2 forfeits because it was wholly his error and there is no way of establishing without any chance of doubt his score to that point.

Karl
Iagree archer 1 is innocent so disqualifying him or her could have serious repercussions. Remember the archer has an implied contract with the organiser, he has paid a fee with the implication that he will be able to shoot .If that does not happen then there has been a breech of contract. The archer could sue for the cost of entry and compensation for lost time and transport costs, and probably win.