Decent (fairly) inexpensive tripod

EVC

I am looking for a tripod on the ?20-35 range with decent quality. My current one moves the scope when I tighten the adjust to fix it. :grumpy: I would like one with good head mechanics and not excessively heavy. Sugestions welcome.

Thank you all in advance.

Elder.

markmingay

Hi EVC I am afraid you will be pushed to find a good enough Tripod in that price range, my advice would be to try & find a secondhand Tripod. Look for Gitzo, Manfrotto or Benbo. I have an ancient Gitzo Reporter Tripod that I paid ?30 for some 10 years ago must be 30+ years old but still very solid has never blown over. Try & get a Tripod with tubular legs the U shaped legs are not too good. My test is to extend the Tripod to full height & take hold of the top & try to twist it, if it moves more than a few mm don't bother.

Cunelli

Hi Elder,

I got fed up with my cheap tripod, similar problem to yours. I now bought a Velbon Sherpa 200 for about 50 Euros. The weight is a little high at about 2 kgs, but it is really sturdy, and the head moves wonderfully smoothly for that price.

If you want something more portable, check out the slik sprint pro ez. I have never seen it, but it often is recommended as a light and affordable solution.

Phil

Proper-bo Selecta

Pistol Grip Head

EVC,
Another possible alternative is to buy a Pistol Grip Tripod Head and fit it to your exisitng tripod.
Here is a link to a Manfrotto one (the one I have). Mine cost ?75 a year ago. This is ?38! There are lesser quality brands out there too (ebay usually has some).

When you press the trigger the head floats in any direction allowing you to quickly spot the target. Then release the trigger and the head locks. I have a very heavy scope on mine and it NEVER budges. These are great when under time limts for getting ready to shoot before the whistle.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Pistol-Tripod-Degree-MANFROTTO/dp/B001U4ORGS]Professional Pistol Grip Tripod Ball Head 360 Degree: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
Another possible alternative is to buy a Pistol Grip Tripod Head and fit it to your exisitng tripod.
Why is this an alternative to having a crappy tripod? All you've got then is a crappy tripod with more weight on top ...

Here is a link to a Manfrotto one (the one I have).
No, here's a link to the Manfrotto one (spot the differences?)

Manfrotto Joystick Head - Joystick

Mine cost ?75 a year ago.
Good deal!

This is ?38! There are lesser quality brands out there too
So it seems ...

Proper-bo Selecta

Why is this an alternative to having a crappy tripod? All you've got then is a crappy tripod with more weight on top ...
Because it sounds like the problem could be the tripod head not the tripod "My current one moves the scope when I tighten the adjust to fix it".

No, here's a link to the Manfrotto one (spot the differences?)
Fair enough. That isn't the Manfrotto one I have!
Manfrotto Joystick Head - Joystick

Good deal!
No because a guy at our club bought one last week for ?50.

So it seems ...
And your recommendation to the Op is? Or you are just taking the time to mock. Very helpful.

I am looking for a tripod on the ?20-35 range with decent quality. My current one moves the scope when I tighten the adjust to fix it. :grumpy: I would like one with good head mechanics and not excessively heavy. Sugestions welcome.

Thank you all in advance.

Elder.
EVC.......... I had exactly the same problem as you and spend ages trying to find a decent tripod that would not tilt forward under the weight of the scope. I have just bought a really good tripod... Velbon 600R. I paid ?29.00 (on special offer from ?89.00) from Jessops. I also had the issue that it had to tilt to the right as i am left handed and wanted it tilted to give an angle for the eyepeice.
Hope this helps.
Graham