Define camouflage

brassmonkey001

It might have been answered elsewhere but I haven't seen it yet.
What exactly constitutes a camouflage pattern that breaches rule 307?
Does it only apply to military style DPMs? What about urban camo e.g. grey or blue or even pink?
What about these realtree patterns?
My son has a pair of shorts that are grey and black which at a glance looks like a camo pattern but on closer inspection they are actually lots of different shaped fish. Would this fall foul of rule 307?
Surely anything that has a pattern of contrasting colours has potential as a DPM so where do GNAS draw the line, or is it purely based on the judges discretion?

dell

Camouflage is a vague term, but I would normally interpret it as shades of green and brown.
It will be based on the judges interpretation on the day. Bit like the definition of dark green which many will remember.

Furface

Supporter
If you are standing against a fluorescent pink wall with yellow stripes, then dressing in fluorescent pink with yellow stripes is camouflage. IIRC, the conversation around the table at the the time the rule was changed was dominated by "Harumph" sounds, and the rearguard actions of those who wanted to abandon club colours and revert to green and white. As has been pointed out, the wording is so vague that it is down to judge's interpretation, and if you are unlucky enough to get one of the harumphing brigade you will get your trousers removed. You could try winding them up by threatening them with the Human Rights Act ;)

Craftsman

If it's a safety thing, then on a wide open field with multiple target bosses, I can't see a problem.

In the middle of a wood at a FT/3D comp, totally different ball game!

Some years ago 'cammo' was frowned upon in FAC shooting circles, so people started turning up in SWAT style gear!

grimsby archer

The rule against cammo is because it looks stupid and scruffy blue jeans look scruffy and mankinis are just silly.
Why do people always want a "to the letter" definition?
In my experience, where there is an absolute definition, theres always some berk who will go as close as he can to the definition so that in the eyes and minds of right thinking people its not allowed, just so that the berk can argue the ####.
So, if you have to ask the question "is this cammo or not" then it probably is and you're just an argumentative twit.
Now I've got that off my chest, I'll get my kit off and have an hour at the local naturist archery club....which brings me to another point

Furface

Supporter
The rule against cammo is because it looks stupid and scruffy blue jeans look scruffy and mankinis are just silly.
Why do people always want a "to the letter" definition?
In my experience, where there is an absolute definition, theres always some berk who will go as close as he can to the definition so that in the eyes and minds of right thinking people its not allowed, just so that the berk can argue the ####.
So, if you have to ask the question "is this cammo or not" then it probably is and ...
I think the problem is that, once you have a proscriptive description, you are potentially liable to fall foul of someone's interpretation. We all know the sort of berk to whom you refer, and they are just as bad as the neolithic judges. If you have to have a rule on a matter of taste, it should be as non-prescriptive as possible.
you're just an argumentative twit....
Must.....not.....comment.... ;)

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Or put it another way... I'm assuming you own clothing to which the question "is this camo?" doesn't apply?? Wear that. It's like when people ask you, "do you think this arrow is in?"... if you don't think it's in, I'm certainly not going to!

Nightimer

I wish people would stop using the term "berk".
You obviously don't know what it means otherwise you would not use it.
Lets just say that if you called me a berk to my face you would need urgent dental treatment.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Yeah... refers to the main charactor in the classic TV kids show 'Trap Door'...

[video=youtube;f-dapSswWTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dapSswWTQ[/video]

Of course... if you have a different meaning... well... that's your issue... :raspberry

I wish people would stop using the term "berk".
You obviously don't know what it means otherwise you would not use it.
Lets just say that if you called me a berk to my face you would need urgent dental treatment.

Nightimer

Of course... if you have a different meaning... well... that's your issue...

It has one meaning and its not a puppet on a kids program.
Ive never thumped anyone for calling me a puppet,I have for being called a berk.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
now we see the violence inherent in the system :frying:

Ive never thumped anyone for calling me a puppet,I have for being called a berk.

T

the-poet

Language evolves, especially in the time scales you're talking about.

Get over it.

ThomVis

So the discussion morphed from camouflage into word meanings. But it's very educational to know that the Dutch word for birch can get you nuked by Cockneys.

JohnoFon

Actually, according to Wikipedia:

berk (plural berks)
(UK, slang, pejorative) A fool, prat, twit.
(UK, slang) An idiot, in an affectionate sense.
(Cockney rhyming slang, vulgar) ####.

JohnoFon

So the discussion morphed from camouflage into word meanings.
So, getting back on topic...

Don't forget that the current RoS also ban 'olive drab', which is just the shade of green that I bought thinking they'd do for competitions :(

brassmonkey001

So, getting back on topic...

Don't forget that the current RoS also ban 'olive drab', which is just the shade of green that I bought thinking they'd do for competitions :(
Which is more in line with what my question was about before a rather insulting post from some berk who doesn't know me from Adam decided he knows what sort of person I am.

Tuck

As a reasonable person the definition should be , that intended to be a functioning cammo. I.e. Military and Hunting cammos.
So fashion and faux cammos are just patterns.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
just buy a set of railway approved, high-vis clothing... that way no-one can suggest you're in camo!! :cool: