Define camouflage

JohnoFon

perhaps apocryphal but worth recounting ... remember hearing story of archer shooting 3d in midwest
walked up to target, put camo compound bow down, scored arrows and walked on to next target forgetting to pick up bow.
feeling like a prat on realization of error, quickly returned to target ... and couldnt find his bow
I know I keep mentioning it, but people use camouflage arrows!

ThomVis

perhaps apocryphal but worth recounting ... remember hearing story of archer shooting 3d in midwest
walked up to target, put camo compound bow down, scored arrows and walked on to next target forgetting to pick up bow.
feeling like a prat on realization of error, quickly returned to target ... and couldnt find his bow
That's why the big guy with the dreadlocks sold it to me so cheaply!

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
That's why the big guy with the dreadlocks sold it to me so cheaply!
I suspected squirrels ... you cant tell me an arboreal rat gets such good PR just cause he's got a fluffy tail. They're smart and organized and they're coming for us! :whistlebl

Simon Banks

I heard there was a chap that tried to register a previously unknown type of rat..
He discovered them in his local park and used to go specially to feed them at night.
Apart from being nocturnal the thing that made them stand out was they had bald tails...

Chuckle

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
about 5 years ago a rental resident in the next block to the flats where I live reported rats in the carpark and demanded the factor do something.
this resident expressed amazement that some of the residents in my block (long term owner occupiers) seemed to pay the rats no heed as they ran around on the grass. one had even thrown some food to the disease ridden rodents and the rental resident demanded that they be instructed to cease this stupidity. apparently the rats were even in the trees

the confused factor suddenly had an epiphany and asked the renting resident had they ever lived near a park or in the country before and did they know what a squirrel looked like. when the reply came back a double negative ... our resident squirrels were safe from the rat traps.

Rev. H

Banned
There are many issues pertaining to Camouflage the main misconception is that the pattern is of a military design for the concealment of body and equipment, this being a fact most people adhere to the this medium.

However, fluorescent orange is invisible to animals and not humans and the traditional camouflage is not invisible to those with colour blindness.

I?m a member of the NFAS and we do not have any clothing restrictions, we attire to shoot along side like minded archers and enjoy that company without the anally fuelled rule of dress code, as humans we are after all individuals and endowed with common sense, conscience, reason and choice.

But, rules are rules and if one subscribes to those rules, one should adhere to them and not attempt to bend them, quote: "you made your bed, lie in it"

I would argue for the child in every case, children should be encouraged to express themselves regardless of the medium and should not be constrained by the rules and regulations of adults pertaining to dress code, ?they?re children? not dolls or soldiers... children!

BobCat

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
So no one has yet clarified weather I can use the RAF kit I had on exercise?

In Norway - White top, white trousers! - It was camouflage at that time of year (and kept me warm and dry) :raspberry

Simon Banks

Very true.. ;-)

I suspect in this case "camo" and olive refer to military clothing..

Can't say I understand the purpose other than somebody doesn't ;-)

BobSki

I wish people would stop using the term "berk".
You obviously don't know what it means otherwise you would not use it.
Lets just say that if you called me a berk to my face you would need urgent dental treatment.
Now look hear you Grimsby Hunt....... :raspberry :duck:

BobSki

Just shoot field nobody cares what you wear just what you hit.. ;-)
Yes, just don't have a W&W Riser in Black/White/Gold or I suppose any other riser with colour band demarkations or you will need rolls of white tape plastered all over your bow. Oh, and don't take your binoculars if they have an electronic Vibration Reduction System or the kit inspection won't let you use them. I think Field has just as many silly rules as Target to be honest.

AndyW

I would have argued about the riser as the rules say something along the lines of " no marks added to the bow which may be used for sighting". I know lots of folks who shoot anodised / camo risers with not a second look. Regarding NFAS rules, no we don't have as many daft ones. If I can hit the small animal I'm unlikely to hit the fat bloke in camo. Besides, their position is usually given away by swearing / sarcasm and clouds of cigarette smoke. (slightly in jest but not by much ).

BobSki

It was my first ever go at field archery and I had been shooting for less than a year, so arguing with the judges wasn't going to happen :scared: but they did insist on me taping over the paintwork on my riser. They also told me to leave my binos behind because of the electronic image stabiliser system they are equipped with. I decided that I prefered the target archery side of things.

AndyW

The binoculars are not surprising or electronic devices so both would be a red rag. The riser probably wasn't the major issue.

Simon Banks

If the side facing the archer had a pattern then it in theory could be used to aim.. So technically it's a rule violation..
I suspect it would complicate things rather than make things easier for the archer ;-)

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Because there were so few left in the UK, I had to get a camo bow (Realtree apparently) so I look like a proper red-neck!