Different types of archery: Beneficial or Detrimental to form

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Here is a new question for the community.

In general I shoot target style archery, but recently I've been going to a few clout shoots. Discussing this with other members of the club a few are saying that doing multiple styles of archery changes your form slightly.

Does anyone know if this is true? Also would it be a benefit or detrimental to form to have it change to suit more than one style of shooting?

Personally I found that doing a flight shoot, helped me with clout. Also clout has helped me get more consistent at target. But I would like to know what other have found.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I'm not sure that I would say different disciplines changes your form, so much as you might change your form slightly while you shoot one style and revert back when you go back to your usual shooting. For example, I always found clout shooting was more relaxing. Some of that, I feel, was due to the posture of shooting compound at a clout. I felt as if I was in a stronger posture. Compared that to shooting at a low target indoors at 20y, where I feel I am tilting forwards.
Another aspect of changing style is the time it takes for the arrow to land. Clout, compared to indoors, seems to help with maintaining a good bow arm position. Indoors, the arrow landing almost as soon as it is released could tempt me to finish the shot too soon; with the bow arm not doing its job long enough.
Clout shooting is good also for those who tend to suffer from becoming over tense at targets. The drawing can be more fluid when the target is so far away, it seems the aiming is less daunting. If that relaxation can be carried over to target shooting it should be a good thing.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I shoot target, field, clout and flight. Different disciplines do require slightly different things. But I've always found that to be in addition, not instead of, my regular basic form.
Shooting field definitely improves my target. Shooting target improves my clout and vice versa. Flight is a whole different kettle of fish, but my understanding of physics, ballistics and aerodynamics is much improved.
By the time I've shot a full outdoor season of target, I'm jaded, so a few weeks of clout really gets me enthusiastic for all my archery again. I also don't get target panic at clout and field, so my brain gets a stress-break.

I also have a longbow, afb and used to have a compound. They definitely need different form, but I don't believe it harms my recurve shooting.

Del the Cat

variety is the spice of life...
I think there is benefit from the most unlikely sources. Shooting left handed (assuming you are right handed) for instance all improves your balance and evens out the stresses & strains on the body. When I used to play golf I found it complemented the archery and vice versa.
Del

NeilJM

This is something I have thought about too, I agree that it should help overall shooting different disciplines, but I have recently had to make some corrections to my target form, which have worked well, as I think shooting clout made me over extend my draw when shooting target, so it may be something to watch out for and I have decided not to shoot clout and target one day after another for the time being, as it doesn't seem to work for me.

I haven't shot clout since I have made the changes, so I'll see how it all goes and update when I do, hopefully for the better.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
NeilJM, there are two ways of looking at that. By shooting clout and then target, it has drawn your attention to a likely variation in your form. That can now be worked on to improve your form so that it works equally well in both styles.

Discof

Ravens Eye, I know lots of people who started archery by doing field. Thats how I began and I have always found that the change of atmosphere greatly helped my whole mind set to archery. Obviously there is a difference in style required, when for example you are shooting up or down hill especially when using a clicker, or when the ground on which you are standing is slopped in one direction or another but as I said the different challenges involved keep the mind active and really sharp. Give it a try and keep an open mind, you may find that one or other form of archery is not for you but I have to say again I found it really helpful. One thing to remember though is that despite what may appear to be a slightly more relaxed attitude on the course, those out there still want to win!!!!!!!

NeilJM

NeilJM, there are two ways of looking at that. By shooting clout and then target, it has drawn your attention to a likely variation in your form. That can now be worked on to improve your form so that it works equally well in both styles.
Except it help cause a problem initially, which I then had too fix, I did have other issues to deal with as well though.

As I said, in the long term, shooting different styles will definitely help, but if you are just starting out shooting a different style you will have to be aware that there may be some effect to how you shoot in your "normal" discipline.

It is an interesting topic though.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Al Henderson in "Understanding Winning Archery" says "Every problem is an opportunity for improvement".
Yes, the clout caused a problem, but it can be seen at the same time as something to work on to make us better archers.