Disabled Archery Classification

GoneBad

Does anybody know where in hell* I can find a list of the different classes for disabled archers and what aids they are allowed to use to compete against 'able bodied' ** archers?
The reason I am looking is because we have a newbie who is mildly inconvenienced by missing fingers. The newbie has lost, on both hands, top 2 sections on index finger and 1&3/4 sections on the middle finger.
Newbie is using a modified tab at the moment but there are concerns about long term tendon damage and forecasted difficultes with higher poundages.
I offered the use of a wrist release aid to try but woud like to know what the rules are.

* ArcheryGB website

** I hate these terms. Makes it sound as though one group or other is somehow inferior.
When in discussion with 'disabled' people, I tend to use the terms Paralympians and Mundanes.
Always makes everyone smile

pkel33

W1is limited mobility in upper and lower limbs
W2 is limited mobility in lower limb both these classes would shoot from a wheelchair
ARST is limited mobility in upper bor lower limbs and the at her can shoot standing or sitting
If you newbie is a compound archer he can use a release in all classes but there are restrictions regarding W1
If they are a recurve archer then they cannot use a release aid with a recurve bow
Can I just ask why you think the terms disabled and able bodied makes one group seem inferior? As a disabled archer I don't feel any different at all to tabled bodied archers this may not be the case in other sports but in archery we all have the same opportunities
I hope this has been helpful

GoneBad

If they are a recurve archer then they cannot use a release aid with a recurve bow
I would have thought that if Danielle Brown can shoot from a stool under ST1 because of leg pain, then and archer with missing fingers would also be allowed to use an aid. I am also wondering what the definition of 'les autres' is.

Can I just ask why you think the terms disabled and able bodied makes one group seem inferior? As a disabled archer I don't feel any different at all to tabled bodied archers this may not be the case in other sports but in archery we all have the same opportunities
Maybe it's just me but I find the term disabled, in my mind, focuses on what a person cannot do, instead of what they can do.

pkel33

I would have thought that if Danielle Brown can shoot from a stool under ST1 because of leg pain, then and archer with missing fingers would also be allowed to use an aid. I am also wondering what the definition of 'les autres' is.

Maybe it's just me but I find the term disabled, in my mind, focuses on what a person cannot do, instead of what they can do.
The categories relate to the archers disabilities st1 (or arst1) which is my category enables the archer to use either a chair/stool or stand in aided, any queries regarding categories would have to be addressed to the IPC who I know would be only too happy to explain their catagorisation to you.

Regarding the use of a release aid there is currently a shoulder harness available that utilises a release aid but the use if one would depend on category again, as far as I know only archers with missing upper limbs use these but I could be wrong, the harness was developed by Canadian paralympian Kevin Evans I can get more info from him about the harness if you like

GoneBad

Thanks Mike47. Very useful reading.
7.2.4. Release Aid
Archers with disabilities in the fingers of both hands are allowed, to use a mechanical release aid.

If I'm reading that correctly, newbie can use a release aid with a recurve but will need to be assessed by a classification panel.

The categories relate to the archers disabilities st1 (or arst1) which is my category enables the archer to use either a chair/stool or stand in aided, any queries regarding categories would have to be addressed to the IPC who I know would be only too happy to explain their catagorisation to you.

Regarding the use of a release aid there is currently a shoulder harness available that utilises a release aid but the use if one would depend on category again, as far as I know only archers with missing upper limbs use these but I could be wrong, the harness was developed by Canadian paralympian Kevin Evans I can get more info from him about the harness if you like
Thanks for your input. Newbie copes quite well with just the tab at the moment and hasn't yet made an official request for assitance. it is just that I want to have the correct information available should the need arise.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
7.2.4. Release Aid
Archers with disabilities in the fingers of both hands are allowed, to use a mechanical release aid.

If I'm reading that correctly, newbie can use a release aid with a recurve but will need to be assessed by a classification panel.

Thanks for your input. Newbie copes quite well with just the tab at the moment and hasn't yet made an official request for assitance. it is just that I want to have the correct information available should the need arise.
Eric Bennett, an American Paralympian, shot recurve using a release aid, but on 31 Dec 2012, World Archery banned the use of mechanical release aids with recurve bows.

You need to contact the British Wheelchair Archery Association and speak to Pauline Betteridge, who until recently was the chief international classifier for para-archery. She could tell you what is legal. You've not said whether or not your newbie is a recurve or compound. If the newbie is recurve, I think options could be limited unless they could use the other fingers to draw with. Otherwise a compound may be a better choice.

As for the classifications, never make assumptions about people's disabilities. Classification is far more complicated than you might imagine and pain is NOT a classifiable aspect of disability.

Les Autres means "the others" and is basically a catch all for disabilities without a title.

urbin

7.2.4. Release Aid

I assume newbie shoots recurve, but would they consider trying compound?

GoneBad

I should have mentioned that newbie shoots recurve.

Thankyou to Clickerati and English_Archer, I have sent an Email. :thumbsup::cake: