Distance PB with a Self Bow

• Thread starter Deleted member 7654
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7654

I've been struggling to break 300 yards, I got 299 with a Hickory flight bow, but then it started to break down and chrysal on the belly.
So I made another flight bow last week and got 307 yards. Osage bow 65-70# at 24" :)
hopefully I'll get a little more out of it soon.
Pics here
Del
OK there was a little tail wind D'oh :(

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Del, I got 400y with my compound and felt quite pleased. I can imagine how you felt specially after making all the bits yourself. Great stuff,indeed.
Using the tail wind doesn't lessen the achievement; it shows wisdom, like choosing the direction of the grain in the wood!
Did the arrow go out of sight? As kids we used to shoot arrows high into the sky, and if they went out of sight we felt extra good. Wooooow!

D

Deleted member 7654

Cheers Geoff :)
I saw it go, but lost it as it got near the top of the trajectory the flight was pretty clean.
Hopefully I'll get a bit more with some tuning of arrow and bow.it's It would doubtless throw one of those modern skinny carbon fibre arrows much further, but it's natural materials only for me (the exception being the string, although I could make up a linen one).
Del

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I can appreciate the desire to keep to natural materials, sort of cheating ( perhaps?)to go with carbon that wasn't available in the olden days. I would be curious to know how far it could go, all the same. Curiosity over tradition??? I could see the attraction of both.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Woodies work great with tiny button sized ali points. Trim feathers very low profile and short. Barrelled shafts work best, and I like bamboo straight shafts. The rest is suck it and see. :)

D

Deleted member 7654

Woodies work great with tiny button sized ali points. Trim feathers very low profile and short. Barrelled shafts work best, and I like bamboo straight shafts. The rest is suck it and see. :)
Yeah, I've been barrelling shafts, making my own from ancient skirting board and different woods, Ash, Yew, bamboo... the yew was disapointing, light but not stiff enough at a small diameter. Also turning tiny points on my little lathe.
My fletchings are about 3mm high :) shaped by filing out the required profile on a scrap of copper sheet, heating it up a just touching it over the rough cut flight.
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

I can appreciate the desire to keep to natural materials, sort of cheating ( perhaps?)to go with carbon that wasn't available in the olden days. I would be curious to know how far it could go, all the same. Curiosity over tradition??? I could see the attraction of both.
Yeah, if I had a skinny carbon lying around I'd try it. I even thought of using an orphaned arrow from one of the field clubs, but people tend to collect 'em as they are pricey :(
It's basically the shaft diameter with required stiffness that is one of the aerodynamic limitations. The moder material flight shooters tend to use 3mm carbon fibre rod!
Del