DIY release aid.

philhoney

Hi Geoff,
I don't think it was that because I held the release horizontaly with a loose grip so that it was pulled into line as I drew. The slightest touch with my little finger and off it went.
Phil

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you were shooting indoors at 20y; I think 6" high will be something other than a speed thing.( how far would you need to wind up the poundage to get that much of a change?)
It might be connected to your hand position. If the BT release, moves your hand further back from the string( or closer to it) perhaps you are releasing in a more downward direction.
Just out of interest, do the shots, at release, feel any different? Would you want to use the new one full time?

M

Moose

Could be a bit of paradox as the hard release is a bit like fingers on a d loop but the wrist has a pin the moves in a true straight line

Try attaching a rope to the release rather than use a d loop and see if the improves things

courtesy of moose on the loose

philhoney

Hi Geoff,
We are shooting at 40cm targets at about 16yds.
My hand is in the same position with both releases with the knuckle of my first finger just touching my earlobe.
The shots feel completely different. With the wrist release I don't pull the trigger. When I'm settled on the target with my finger on the trigger I move my shoulder blade in towards my spine and the shot happens. It's as if I am in control of the shot.
With the BT release although I try and shoot the same way it feels as if I have no control of when it goes. I know it should be like that but it just didn't feel right. I will keep trying it before we start shooting a round but for now I will stick with the wrist release as I am managing to keep up with the top scorers in the club.
Phil

philhoney

Hi Moose,
I did think of that but would it account for different heights. Left or right I can understand but can't see how it would affect the height of where the arrow hits. I could be and probably am wrong in this but I am totally new to BT releases and have a steep learning curve to climb.
Phil

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Does the wrist release have a slim hook or a wide pair of jaws?
What rest are you using?
Interesting that the two releases feel different at the release stage.It might be that with the trigger, you can anticipate somehow and possibly drop the bow arm? With the new release, anticipation is missing, from the way you describe the release, so no time to drop the bow arm.
You might see some differences in the launch if you shoot through paper.

english_archer

Ironman
I have several Carter release's(both thumb trigger and B/T hinge) and they all give different impact points :-/ I have always just assumed this was down to the differing shapes of the handles. In fact one of the big selling points of the new sensation release is that it gives the same impact point as the evolution,one of each is on my shopping list as soon as I can get over to see Simon at a very good archery shop ;-)

G

GuardianAngel

They will all be different. Dont worry about it. Pick one and tune your bow against it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

philhoney

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply, went up my sons house for dinner yesterday and ended up staying the night.
Geoff, I don't think I am dropping my arm but I will get someone to video me on Friday and then play it back in slow motion on my PC. No doubt I'll see loads of other faults as well.
It's interesting that different releases have different POI. This will make learning to use the BT release a bit awkward as I intend using the wrist release for shooting the rounds and the BT during practice until I get the hang of it which may never happen.
Phil

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Phil,two things to learn from the BT release. One is how it feels to keep the back tension working, so you can use the same on the wrist release.The other is how it feels to shoot a surprise release with no anticipation. That feeling can be compared to the wrist release feelings to help highlight any anticipation and possibly get rid of it.

M

Moose

Different release different poi

I have cascade 8 releases and the Saturday night special same handle one is relax to releases one is a thumb

Thumb is alway higher only thing I can think of is that one is very slightly off the full wall and one is hard on maybe a fraction of a pound difference and a fraction of a mm in draw length

Courtesy of iMoose

philhoney

Hi,
This is a video of me shooting with the wrist release. Didnt have time to do the BT.
Any comments?
Ducks and runs for cover.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Phil,The injuns need to duck or run for cover!!! That is machine gun fast shooting there ,Boy!
I can't say there is much wrong with what you are doing, it just seems a little hurried. When you watch it yourself, does it seem hurried to you compared to how you feel when actually shooting?

Nightimer

Hi Phil,
You asked for it :)
The first thing is that the fingers on your bow hand are not relaxed,the are stretched out and that normally means tension.
Your draw length looks a bit long.
You tend to move your head to the string slightly.
Oh yes, as Geoff says you appear to be shooting rather fast.
Other than that you are good to go !!

philhoney

Hi Geoff,
Yes I usually take a few more seconds aiming but for the video I didn't care where the arrows went as long as they were somewhere on the target.
Phil

Hi Phil,The injuns need to duck or run for cover!!! That is machine gun fast shooting there ,Boy!
I can't say there is much wrong with what you are doing, it just seems a little hurried. When you watch it yourself, does it seem hurried to you compared to how you feel when actually shooting?

philhoney

Hi Nightimer,
I agree it looks as if my fingers are stiff and stretched out but due to arthritis that is the most comfortable position for me. They are quite relaxed.
Draw length. I have experimented with longer and shorter settings and that is the one that is most comfortable and gives me the best scores. It may not confirm to the accepted norm but I am far from normal. :mischievo
Moving my head to the string? Never thought about that. I'll pay attention to that tonight and get back to you.
I do normaly shoot slower than that but I wasn't too fussed where the arrows went, just wanted to get it over with as the whole club was watching me shoot.
Phil

Hi Phil,
You asked for it :)
The first thing is that the fingers on your bow hand are not relaxed,the are stretched out and that normally means tension.
Your draw length looks a bit long.
You tend to move your head to the string slightly.
Oh yes, as Geoff says you appear to be shooting rather fast.
Other than that you are good to go !!

Nightimer

Hi Nightimer,
I agree it looks as if my fingers are stiff and stretched out but due to arthritis that is the most comfortable position for me. They are quite relaxed.
Draw length. I have experimented with longer and shorter settings and that is the one that is most comfortable and gives me the best scores. It may not confirm to the accepted norm but I am far from normal. :mischievo
Moving my head to the string? Never thought about that. I'll pay attention to that tonight and get back to you.
I do normaly shoot slower than that but I wasn't too fussed where the arrows went, just wanted to get it over with as the whole club was watching me shoot.
Phil
Hi Phil,
As I pressed the "send" button I had a feeling that the fingers were to do with arthritis.
As far as draw length goes if you are comfortable then thats fine.
The head to string thing was only slight but as your jaw is your reference it makes sense to keep your still and in the same position for each shot.
Here endeth the lesson :))

philhoney

Hi Nightimer,
I shot a round tonight making a point of holding my head upright and bringing the string to my face instead of the other way round. The result was a bit below average for me so the jury's still out on this one.

I didn't get a chance to get myself videoed using the BT release because as soon as I switched on the laptop and showed everyone how you can watch anyone shooting in slow motion or even frame by frame they all wanted to be filmstars.
I recomend Kinovea to anyone who wants to sort their form out and I think it will be a fantastic tool for coaches.
Phil