Do i get a badge?

Just achieved third class after my first 6 months of shooting, very proud and pleased to be doing reasonably well. Our club records officer has all my score sheets and has confirmed the ranking. Question is do I get a shiny badge, I've seen others bristling with badges on hats etc and would like to get a record of my achievement if possible. There doesn't seem to be one forthcoming from the club, bit shy to ask to be honest, do I buy one myself, and where? All new to me, not sure of the etiquette yet?

LAC Mark

Yes you should get a badge, normally given by your records officer, however our club award badges at the AGM, you never know you may make 2nd class before then.

ben tarrow

Classification badges are up to the club to manage, (buy and) distribute.
You can buy your own. Many retailers stock them. AGB (as far as I know) do not

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Some clubs participate, be prepared to do a quick web search to purchase your own if necessary.

Corax67

We issue badges to our juniors but our seniors buy their own if they are so inclined, some like badges (me) others aren't bothered.

You can pick them up from pretty much any archery shop or the well known Internet auction site.

Karl

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Our club does the same as Corax67's - we keep a stock of classification badges which are provided free of charge to juniors, but seniors are expected to buy their own from an archery retailer. Most shops will have some badges, or you can buy them online from Quick's.

Geophys

I'm the Records Officer for my club and always keep a stock of badges. For archers in their first year or so, I like to give them their classification badge and certificate as soon as I can after receiving their three qualifying scores, this I usually do at our field or our indoor venue. For our more experienced archers, they'll get their badges and certificates at our club AGM. The club pays for them right up to Bowman.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Classification badges are up to the club to manage, (buy and) distribute.
You can buy your own. Many retailers stock them. AGB (as far as I know) do not
I think most clubs allow members to buy their own classification badges. If yours buys yours for you then you are lucky.

Badges from 3rd up to bowman can be purchased from most archery stores, though be careful as postage can cost more than the badge.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
the 2 clubs I have belonged to give you the badges for classifications and my current club also ges you your first 252, frostbite, portsmouth score etc but you buy any subsequent ones.
Dont be shy, if you feel you cant ask an officer of the club ask another member what the procedure is.

ben tarrow

We recently found a source of INDOOR classification badges too, so now we give those out also.
We have an awards section of our agm (to try to encourage people to attend if I'm honest) where we give out classification badges achieved over the last year.
Our barebow archers arent chuffed that there are no indoor classifications for barebow
I'm tickled by the idea that some clubs "ALLOW" members to buy their own, as in "SO TRY TO STOP ME HONEY"

Good to hear all these different systems in place. I’ll have to push a bit and find out what goes on. We do have an AGM coming up but I get the impression it’s just for the experts to attend who are on the committee. Being just a beginner it’s quite hard to ask the expert group how they all get their badges and classifications. I’ve been told that the rankings are the most important thing and the 252 scheme and the indoor session don’t really matter much. Shame really because I don’t really care how good I am compared to the rest of the country but just enjoyed doing the achievement badges.

ben tarrow

Good to hear all these different systems in place. I’ll have to push a bit and find out what goes on. We do have an AGM coming up but I get the impression it’s just for the experts to attend who are on the committee. Being just a beginner it’s quite hard to ask the expert group how they all get their badges and classifications. I’ve been told that the rankings are the most important thing and the 252 scheme and the indoor session don’t really matter much. Shame really because I don’t really care how good I am compared to the rest of the country but just enjoyed doing the achievement badges.
As a new member, you are the future of your club. Its important you represent that future at your AGM. No one else can do it.
I'd hope you're not the only new member. Maybe others have the same interests in their own improvement and achievement as you do.
Hold out the hand of friendship at your club, which often goes better if it has the offer of cake or a biscuit with it.
Get a copy of the archerygb rules of shooting and SAPs (downloadable from the archerygb website) which has lots of info about the myriad of official archery gb achievement badges. Not the easiest read in the world, but once you have read words like "rose award" you can at least go to more experienced members of your club and say "what is this?"
Unless your club is very odd, theres always at least one experienced archer who'll love to share their knowledge with you, especially where a cup of tea or a half of beer is involved. Again, be sure to invite other newbies along. Safety in numbers :)

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
It all depends on the archer really. I've been shooting for about 8 years now and personally I'd rather go badge hunting than worry about rankings esp because the ranking system to me doesn't seem to work as it only rewards certain shoots. I know good archers who don't attend any of these shoots so really the rankings are just like a large competition, doesn't make you best in the country, just best of those who attended the shoots.

The 252 badges are in my opinion a good thing because it gives you a goal and you can progress at your own pace. I much prefer the outdoor season to indoors, but same faces and same distance of indoor I tend to find boring and frustrating, but if you like it and want to get the indoor badges then you do what you enjoy.

With regards to the AGM, it's not just for experts it to give members a voice in what is going on and have a view of the happenings in your own club. So do attend if you can, if it's like mine there won't be many members there and usually the same faces so do go along and be a new face.

Corax67

Good to hear all these different systems in place. I?ll have to push a bit and find out what goes on. We do have an AGM coming up but I get the impression it?s just for the experts to attend who are on the committee. Being just a beginner it?s quite hard to ask the expert group how they all get their badges and classifications. I?ve been told that the rankings are the most important thing and the 252 scheme and the indoor session don?t really matter much. Shame really because I don?t really care how good I am compared to the rest of the country but just enjoyed doing the achievement badges.

No one in our club is bothered by rankings, honestly, quite a few of us clank loudly as we walk the field due to the metalwork fastened to our quivers though which we've acquired over time.

Schemes like the 252 and AGB Progress awards are brilliant because they set targets that are achievable (with work) and the badges visibly show how an archer is getting on.

Of course club records are an entirely different kettle of fish ;)

Karl