[English Longbow] draw and shoot long bow skill

teddybear

if you do in door long bow i have found the best way is to draw and shoot,
to do this put a box over the bit of the target you need to aim at in your minde and darw as soon as the bow is at fall draw and your arm is still losses it gets your scores higer than trying to do it looking at a small piont on the traget

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I have 2 issues with this thread!!!

1. surely indoors the small point you are aiming for is closer and therefor bigger??
  2. why practice with a box??
I'm confused :mind-blow

teddybear

the box is the target you pick out that why its in your minde it is eazy to see in your minde a box shape, i use it on the 60cm and get gold or red

robtattoo

Nah, still confused mate.

Have a re-think & come back when you know how to post whatever it is you're talking about.

LobbyMuncher

Ted

There's no "right way" for using a longbow - there are several. From the sound of it, you have either been taught or stumbled upon a way which is good for you. In longbow class we're taught to draw to the ear and aim "instinctively", without anchoring or gap aiming or anything else. It's one way of using a longbow, too.

Good luck, sounds like you're doing well.

Cheers

ChrisM

English Bowman

if you do in door long bow i have found the best way is to draw and shoot,
to do this put a box over the bit of the target you need to aim at in your minde and darw as soon as the bow is at fall draw and your arm is still losses it gets your scores higer than trying to do it looking at a small piont on the traget
I realise that you are dyslexic, and that spelling is difficult to you, but you also need to have patience with others as your posts are as hard for the rest of us to read as they are for you to read. I know that it won't help with all of the words, but have you tried running your posts through a spell checker before you post them? As I say it's not a magic cure but it could help with some of your posts and mean that we find them easier to read. No offence meant, I know what it's like suffering from dyslexia as a close member of my family has this problem. Anyway onto the point of the post.

I guess that you mean

"If you shoot a longbow indoors the best way is to draw and shoot

To do this imagine a small box over the centre of the target and just draw and shoot. Loose as soon as you get to full draw and the arrow will hit where you imagined the box to be?"

Or did you mean

"Imagine a box where you have to aim the arrow for it to hit the target, draw and as soon as you are at full draw and the arrow is pointed at that box loose and the arrow will hit the target?"

Either way I don't agree with you.

The first is a form of visualisation. Visualisation can work very well, Darrel Pace imagined a tunnel in the air leading to the gold, all he had to do was shoot the arrows down this tunnel and he couldn't miss. Obviously the tunnel doesn't exist, but if an archer can make himself believe that it does it can help the scores. I imagine shooting an arrow into the centre of the target, and then clear my mind, and try to just let my body do that. Sometimes it even works! I think that imagining a box could be counter productive to some people as it can keep things out just as easily as keeping them in. Still it's what works for you, and I'm not going to say that you're wrong, just that I wouldn't advise this method to any archer that I coached

If you are talking about picking a point to aim at and imagining it to be a box then I have less problems relating to your idea, but I would recommend that if you are going to shoot point of aim like this then try to find something to actually aim at, even if you focus on a blade of grass or a small piece of the target. Focus on that point and then bring the arrow into view until it touches or covers that spot (the choice is yours) and when it's there and you're at full draw then loose.

I do agree with what you've implied in that you shouldn't hold a longbow at full draw.

Daniel

steve58

Either way I don't agree with you.

The first is a form of visualisation. Visualisation can work very well, Darrel Pace imagined a tunnel in the air leading to the gold, all he had to do was shoot the arrows down this tunnel and he couldn't miss. Obviously the tunnel doesn't exist, but if an archer can make himself believe that it does it can help the scores. I imagine shooting an arrow into the centre of the target, and then clear my mind, and try to just let my body do that. Sometimes it even works! I think that imagining a box could be counter productive to some people as it can keep things out just as easily as keeping them in. Still it's what works for you, and I'm not going to say that you're wrong, just that I wouldn't advise this method to any archer that I coached

If you are talking about picking a point to aim at and imagining it to be a box then I have less problems relating to your idea, but I would recommend that if you are going to shoot point of aim like this then try to find something to actually aim at, even if you focus on a blade of grass or a small piece of the target. Focus on that point and then bring the arrow into view until it touches or covers that spot (the choice is yours) and when it's there and you're at full draw then loose.

I do agree with what you've implied in that you shouldn't hold a longbow at full draw.

Daniel
For what it's worth (I am not a coach and have only been shooting for three years) I also disagree with the idea of visualisation.
Not to say it can't work for some people and great if it does.
Personally what works for me is focussing down to the exact spot in the gold I want the arrow to go (very helpful if someone makes a hole near the middle early on!).
While I don't set out to hold the bow at full draw, I do find I hold longer than many longbow archers, I am waiting for the moment of concentration when my mind is completely filled with what I am trying to hit and the shot happens outside my deliberate control. Very difficult to describe to anyone else.
It would be interesting to know what the thread starter has shot for a standard round such as a Portsmoth or a FITA 18/25. Might give us a context.

OLDSTICKMAN

draw and sighting

i nearly joined in with this but decided not to it seems so pointless ,both eyes open look down the arrow when on gold loose (tada)

teddybear

pls tell me oldstick man how you get around the archers parerdox. as i would love to now so i dont need to aim right of the gold.:duck:
on at 60cm at in door range my box is right high around the blue and black lines the let top corner of my box is about 1pm and the botom is around 2.30pm,
at home i have a pice of paper in my foam target thats a 60cm and when i use that as my aim piont i get a lot of golds but i carnt do it on a traget face as i finde it hard to keep the place were i have my pice of paper at home in my mine.
and as of 2 day by 1pm i will have my new long bow 50lbs so i my box will be gust right of the gold at the same levle as were i wont it to hit like my mates 50lbs we have same arrows.:meditate:

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
using the spell checker is a great aid.... my brother does this (although sometimes his words are still jumbled).

I still cant get my head around your box theory :mind-blow

OLDSTICKMAN

to teddybear

i know what you mean this used to happen to me at 20 yds ,if i use a light bow with over spinned arrows , the arrows will go left,if you are right handed,so you will have to aim off or use a floor mark ,by using a floor mark i put 45 on my pb to 455, when i use a 45lb bow with arrows spinned to the bow i can put the pile on gold ,and if all the other bits ,grip,loose,draw ect are done perfectly(we wish) the arrow will go straight,the light bow method works better for me ,i seem to have more control,hope this helps ,i spent a lot of time watching people who shot 480 to 500 on a regular basis and these are the methods thay use