Draw Length problems on a conquest 4

AndyW

OK all,
Maybe someone can help. I have always shot between 27 and 28 inch DL off fingers and always shot compound. To that end I bought a C4 @ 28 with minimax cam system, as luck would have it it also came with the 27 and 29 minimax cams. Anyway, I fitted all the gubbins and re served where I needed to after addiing bits. I thought I would just put a few arrows through before I swapped the cam out for the 27 and oddly the 28inch cam is too short. As far as I can see the ATA, brace, timing, correct idler wheel etc. is on the money. I've put the 29 inch on and not needed to change anything but I haven't tried it yet.
Question is - do minimax cams run short in comparison to others or could I be missing something? I know I was shooting too short at 27 but even with the 28 cam I was a good inch in front of my face when i would usually be at anchor (fingers). For an experienced finger shooter of about 5ft 8 does 29 sound reasonable? Everythings gotten so Americanised and release aid centred I'm now confusing myself. As an aside my mate shoots a 28inch minimax off fingers and he's only 5ft 5 which is making me question is everything as it should be with minimax cams.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I seem to recall that all Mathews bows run shorter than their advertised draw length... because... I don't know. They just do.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I fell foul with my Mathews when I ordered on line. Their 28" and mine were measured from different places. I measured to the throat and they measured AMO, 1" beyond the riser. Could that have happened in your case?

AndyW

Thanks bimble and anything's possible geoffretired, I thought I'd got a handle on Mathews DL as I always used to shoot a Drenalin LD @ 27 I also shoot a Martin Shadowcat at 27 and a Pearson Marxman @ 27 which are all a shade short. Back in the day before I got fat I shot 28 as the veranda didn't get in the way. My stance shall we say is now a touch more open than it once was.
Maybe it's just how they run?

jerryRTD

I used to have a Rival Pro with a mini max cam and I seem to remember that there are two pegs for the string on the cam. make sure you have the string on the right one

AndyW

Thanks jerryRTD, Yes there's 2 and it was still short on the 28 cam. I double checked it was the correct idler wheel as well. I fitted the 29 cam the other day and I'm just gonna stop obsessing and shoot the thing whichever cam fits.
Thanks Again, Andy

I’ve owned 5 Mathews. 2x Monster 7 a drenalin LD, a C3 and now a Halon X Comp. on the m7s and halon I have to run a 28.5” module to get same DL as my 29” Hoyt I had. But when I had a drenalin a c3 it was the other way round. In fact I have some pictures somewhere that show the difference between drenalin and m7 was 1.5” at the throat of the grip.

So basically with t Mathews it’s a bit throw a six to start.

AndyW

Thanks Compound10, I had thought that there was an outside chance with the idler not being swapped and / or it being long strung with a max cam set but ?????
I've swapped to the 29 inch cam which should now be sufficient for my T rex arms - hopefully, I'm just glad I didn't swap to the 27 prior to shooting it like I was originally planning.
It doesn't matter how many times you explain to someone that the compound bow draw length is whatever fits for that bow it still takes you by surprise when it happens to you. Practice what you preach I suppose, I'm just glad I'd got the three cams - I'd have been well p***ed off to buy a new cam to find it was too short.
Maybe they've just decided to turn 27 into 29 as it's more manly, I always did feel a little inadequate only shooting 27, I'm going to feel like Garth with a beefy 29 inch draw. Spec wise I should be pounding 'em out at about 300 fps with the 70lb limbs - I can dream.
I'm not kidding about the limbs - they class it as a 60lb bow because the minimax set drops the peak to about 64 - 65lb. If I shoot it long enough I will have a very stubby left arm and a long spindly right.
Watch out Bambi.

jerryRTD

That's what I like about rotating modules ( Bowtech) it does nor matter what the draw length is supposed to be. If it feels short I just lengthen it, I ignore the numbers, simple.

AndyW

Jerry RTD - in the absence of the like button - too right, exactly why I love the old Shadowcat.