Dress Code and Rule 307

GentryGeoff

Hi All
I have just taken over as the secretary of a junior club and a few days ago a dsicussion started over shooting colours etc and rule 307.
Many of our senior club say that 307 has now changed and you can wear anything. I have just read the latest rules, as of March 2011, and it states the societies colours are green/white etc. But then says, and I quote from the rules 'Members of the Society shooting and officiating at tournaments granted UK or World
Record Status by GNAS are required to wear clothing that is appropriate, clean, in good
condition (ie not frayed or worn, either deliberately or by use) and conventional in style
and appearance. In particular:
(i) Tops or shirts must cover the front and back of the body (including the midriff
when at full draw), they must not be strapless and, for gentlemen, must include
sleeves.
(ii) Any colour garments may be worn with the exception of blue denim, olive drab
and camouflage pattern.'

Sorry it is so long but thought it all needed to be there in case you hadn't read it.

Does this mean that you can now wear any colour etc as per (ii) above or is that only for those tournament granted UK record Status by GNAS? or I have I just totally lost the plot!
Any views/advice etc would be most welcome as I am very confused.
GentryGeoff

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
what you have to remember is that the original Rule307 only HAD to be applied to RS and above shoots. All those local shoots that you went to where they enforced it was at the decision of the TO and not at GNAS.

GentryGeoff

Hi Bimble
Thanks for your very prompt response. So I take it then that any club that puts on a competition and includes in their rules a dress code will have to be complied with?
We have registered some club colours but I don't want either junior or senior members turning up for a comp in the belief that they can wear what they like and then be disappointed.

Rip T

GG,

There was a very long thread some while ago about this - the upshot is that you can wear what you want to GNAS shoots so long as they:-

are not blue denim, olive drab or camo
cover the required bits
do not have any non-archery based advertising on them (unless it is the manufacturers logo or you are sponsored by the advertiser)

So just about anything goes.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
as far as I'm aware Rule307 now only bans blue denim, camo and non-archery sports tops (such as football tops).... specifing that the Society's dress is Green and White is a bit irrelivent as that falls under the perview of "you can wear anything you like as long as it's in a good condition and I suspect has only been left in to pacify those who were against any sort of change!!

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I thought they were getting new uniforms, more inline with the uniforms that FITA judges wear at World Cups/Championships/etc??

....and to make sure you can still spot a judge ;)

tel

Fonz Awardee
I thought they were getting new uniforms, more inline with the uniforms that FITA judges wear at World Cups/Championships/etc??
Ah - you could well be right - haven't been near one for a couple of years ;)

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
Judges have a new uniform - anyone handling a National Tournament this year needs the new uniform; everyone else must be wearing it in 2012

Nightimer

Will this nonsense ever go away.
From time to time I look on an American archery forum where there are hundreds of posts daily.
They talk about bows,arrows,targets,release aids etc etc NEVER what to wear !!!!!
Just wear what you want and to hell with it.
End of rant.

Marcus26

I agree. I'm an adult and won't be told by anyone what to wear, especially if it's not indecent. Even jeans should be allowable, that's just ridiculous.
Interestingly in my state you can wear whatever you like, and even after 5 years of that no one has turned up dressed in a bad way (whatever that is).

C

Compound10

maybe a 6 mth moratorium on Dress COde posts ... none allowed until September...

Exarcher

I always used to shoot in all white (except in inclement weather). Last Saturday night I posted on Facebook that as a mark of respect to the passing of the old dress code that I would be dressed all in black for the Meriden FITA Star the next day. I had a couple of responses from archery facebook friends who knew nothing of the rule change, so I gave a quick resume of the new ruling mainly 307 C (ii) Any colour garments may be worn with the exception of blue denim, olive drab and camouflage pattern and covering of delicate bits.

A senior GNAS Judge posted on my facebook page "I really do think that some people should actually read the new ruling carefully" (which I had !). A couple of postings asked what we could and couldn't wear to the shoot the following day..... we were told we would have to wait 'till the next day to find out !

Rule 307 is written in poor English that in places is dificult to understand and in some areas, open to individual interpretation eg. As to whether a piece of clothing is 'In good condition' or not.... just as bad as whether an item of clothing was the correct shade of green or not!

A 'Plain English' version of the rule is needed, one that is unambiguous and understandable to all members of the society (not just those that sit on committees). It needs to be in the next Archery UK magazine so that every member has the chance to see it (assuming all members are now getting their copy !)

ITPapoi

I agree about there being plenty of room for interpretation in the new rule. I wrote in asking about about the reason for specifying "clean" in the wording of the rule. As the parent of a 10 year old who cannot look at an archery field without getting muddy or grassy knees, I felt that this was creating an unnecessary area for problems. Do TPTB really want to exclude someone from shooting because they slip over on the field and make their clothes dirty? Of course, I got no response to my question (or even acknowledgement) so was unsurprised when the rule was introduced with that word still in it.

Fortunately the judges at the shoots we usually attend are sane and sensible and would not cause a problem - but it is silly for TPTB to make the rule complicated than it needed to be.

Jonathan

C

Compound10

A senior GNAS Judge posted on my facebook page "I really do think that some people should actually read the new ruling carefully" (which I had !). A couple of postings asked what we could and couldn't wear to the shoot the following day..... we were told we would have to wait 'till the next day to find out !
So what did he mean by that then?

Exarcher

So what did he mean by that then?
I wish I knew !

I positively embraced the new rule and wore all black last Sunday. Nothing was said at assembly about rule 307 and that judge didn't come up to me to clarify things...............
So I remain 'in the dark' !