Easton Triumph Arrows

Quimbyf

Supporter
Supporter
Hello,

I want to get some Triumph's for indoor shooting (Recurve), but I just can work out the right spine, tip weight etc. that would be "ideal" I don't have the time to goto a shop so I need to order on line.

My Draw weight is currently 34lb, and I'm using 28.75" arrows (ACC 3l-04/750) through a clicker. I just can't see anything to tell me what spine Triumphs I should order, what weight point I should try etc. Can anyone give me some advice. (I'm not looking at alternatives to Triumphs, just want an idea of which spine and weight to try.)

Thank you kindly in advance.

ThomVis

Easton Triumph won't go higher than 500, so not even close to the 750 you shoot now. Fugetaboutit. Wanna play with them anyways, load up on some real heavy points (200-300 grains) and start playing. You'll be too far out of the box for any "rules" to apply.

Quimbyf

Supporter
Supporter
Thom,

Thank you. So are you saying that Triumph's can only be used by Archers drawing higher poundage, and/or they were designed for Compounds really ?

ThomVis

500 spine is for higher poundage or longer drawlengths (no, don't even think about shooting arrows too long).
I currently have 39# OTF and a 30" 550 spine arrow. For 500 spine I need to be around 42-43#.
If I look at the Easton tables with 34# and 29" arrow you'll be in box T5, which averages around 640 spine. If you've got 750 to tune right with your current drawweight, you'll probably need to jump 10-15# in DW to get the 500 to tune right.

Aleatorian

Or alternatively, if you have the ACC's setup nicely, just shoot them. They are quite a robust arrow after all.

A new set of Ali's would mean resetting the bow and a full retune to get the groups again.

Personally, this year I'll be shooting my ACE's indoor and that is on a full size 60cm face.

Quimbyf

Supporter
Supporter
OK I was hoping to be able to get some FAT indoor arrows, and Triumph seemed to have very good reviews, I think I'll go back to the drawing board and do some more reading. Perhaps I'll look at Fatboys, but I particularly want 9.3mm or not much less Carbon/Ally not Alloy. Using my ACC's indoors I get the odd 8 and I was hoping to take advantage of the diameter to up my score. I'm shooting "C" class with these but the next jump is massive (Was pretty massive from D -> C) but next it's 10's with the odd 9 or not enough....

Aleatorian

Fatboys start at 500 spine, like the Triumph, however Fatboys conform to the WA/GNAS 9.3mm ruling, meaning they are smaller than 9.3mm for the higher spines. Whereas the Truimphs are 9.3mm for all spine sizes.

I shot 2014 X7s last year and the ACE's(that i plan to shoot this year) the year before that. I found the ACE's shot more consistent groups smaller and gained more points that way than trying to scrape by cutting a line. Also shoot at "C" class and yes the jump is quite hefty, 582 for "B" class if I'm not mistaken.

Valkamai

I'm shooting x23's for indoor (2312 spine and 180gr points) with 36lb limbs. I am shooting them overlong @ 31" as I'm shooting barebow so don't need to worry about a clicker.

Mormegil

Carbon express x busters go up to a 700 so they get you closer to a correct spine than the triumphs or fatboys.

Most people will tell you to stick with whatever arrows you can get to tune best for recurve and not worry about linecutters. Ryan Tyack used x23s to get the 2014 indoor world cup but most recurvers stick with x10s.

It's a cost/benefit decision. Arrows aren't free and every hour you spend tweaking and tuning is an hour spent not working on form. If you have money and spare time then give it a try, just calibrate your expectations appropriately (I recall someone working out that, assuming equality in tune and form, fat arrows were worth about 3-4 points).

Quimbyf

Supporter
Supporter
Right bit of an update.

First of all thank you all for your input, after a lengthy conversation with a Kind chap at Merlin, I HAVE decided to buy 4 Triumphs, and a number of different weight Points. It does seem that some people have been able to dial these in with low poundage and my Draw, but it will be a bit of a voyage of adventure, and could indeed end up with me putting a for sale sign up.

I will report back on what I find out in a couple of weeks time. Perhaps I will end up being able to use them, perhaps the information I get will be useful or indeed perhaps I will come back here and eat a lot of humble pie, but in the mean time I've got the time to play so I will.

Thank you all.

Quimbyf

Supporter
Supporter
All,

I received the Arrows, put the 200g points in, and 4" fletchings. This weekend I shot a WA18 with them, on 3 spot 40cm targets. I made NO adjustments to my setup, and it was clear that the arrow was pointing too far to the left on the rest, BUT for the sake of getting a starting point to tune from I left it like that for the whole round.

What I found WAS:
1. Needed to adjust my windage to compensate for the arrow flight due to above.
2. needed to move sight DOWN from normal setting to a lower position.

Having done the above with 6 sighters, I then shot 498, 1 miss and a few out in the 6 ring, the rest were RED or GOLD, various scores, so I'm pretty happy with that based on the fact there is quite a lot I can now do to improve the arrow flight from the bow, and that it was set up for my ACC's.

I'm not saying that this is brilliant, but the score is on par with scores I have achieved in the past with the ACC's on the bow tuned for these arrows.

The next step will be to get another riser. I have a SF Elite+ and I did want an exact duplicate, but since they don't make them anymore I will be purchasing a RCX-100 or SF Velocity.
Once I have decided on which, I'll set that up to use the Triumph's and hopefully optimise the set up. I'll then give a further report of what I have found.

In summary though I'm going to carry on with these to the point where I can't improve the set up anymore, at which stage I should get a more accurate comparison between my ACC's with the correct Spline, and the Triumphs (Spline 500) and heavier points, etc etc.

I hope in a small way this is useful to someone.

Quimbyf

Supporter
Supporter
Update on Triumph Arrows.

So after a few months with these arrows, I have to say it has been a bit of a journey, but I think I'm at the final furlong.
The biggest issue has been consistency, and it was a simple fix in the end, or two simple fixes. The first fix was ME, I have been having issues with stability, so I have been exercising, and being a lazy fat office blob, that didn't come easy, but I wanted to do something. This January I decided it was time, so I did the following.

1. Stopped Smoking............ Still going strong on that.
2. Cut down the Drinking. I'll come back to that later.
3. Exercise. Rowing machine 5 times a week.

So the regime is.

No smoking FINAL. If I do some exercise I allow myself a bottle of beer in the week, if I decide not to exercise, no beer, so I have a weird incentive to get on the rowing machine. I was sooooo unfit that the first day I only managed 733m before I was totally knackered, I'm now up to 4K per day, and trying to build up my strength and stamina slowly, currently I'm at 2min 10sec per 500m, I eventually want that down into the 1min 45Sec range in a further 3 months time at 5K but that's for later.

This has resulted in me being able to add a bit more weight to the stabilisers which has, for me, drastically improved the stability of my hold. It's not perfect but it's a noticeable improvement.

Right so that was the WETWARE adjustment. Now for the arrows. I noticed they were rubbing on the riser, and I did a bit of reading through some other issues on here similar in nature. I decided to see what would happen if I changed to feathers, so I bought a few and fletched 4 arrows with 4" Trueflite parabolic feathers.

My scores on a Portsmouth was consistently in the 520 - 530 range before all of the above. I really was my "C" Class

The results are (With the changes above):

First week Mid Jan with 2 weeks of exercise I shot a difficult 538.
Second week End Jan with 3 weeks of exercise I shot an easier 541. (Easier as I was getting through the clicker nicely, mostly)
Third week (Feb 7th Feb) 5 weeks exercise. It was absolutely freezing in the unheated poly tunnel we use to shoot in, I was shivering between ends BUT I managed to shoot 547, and I know there is more to come.

In conclusion:

I'm shooting better because I have more stamina, and I feel stronger. I have more confidence in the consistency of my shoot, and feel the arrow flight is much more consistent. (Triumph, 200g point with 4" feathers draw 34.5Lb).

So I have found two important things.

1. Be as fit as you can be...... (Work in progress)
2. Experiment with your kit. We are all different, (Shape, size, strength) so the details in a book should be a guide.

I'm going to carry on for another 2 months with these arrows, and I'm going to change nothing at all except to keep up with the exercise. I will note all my scores (Hopefully 3 over 554 to get my "C" Class), and then I'm going to change back to my ACC's to see if it's the exercise or the arrows.

I know I've kind of deviated from the original topic here, but it all started with the purchase of the Triumphs, and has resulted in me accessing everything about my archery.

If I have bored you sorry, If I have interested you, then great and please post your regime, results and failures I'm all about learning.

Quimbyf

Supporter
Supporter
Hi all,

Another update.

My last three results have been:

547, 547 and finally my first "C" class 558

two more of those and I will be a happy "C" Classer.

So what have I found, well, for a start feathers seem to be the way to go on these Triumphs, all "Riser" issues have gone, and where I aim I hit ! Clearly I don't always aim at the "X" when I release or I would be shooting 600, but I'm getting more 10's and it's only as I get tired I start making mistakes. This I can only put down to ME !!!!

In fact this weekend my first 2 Dozen where 56 , 58, 58, 57 I have NEVER managed a 58 in the past ! the next dozen 55 + 57 and then it tailed off into the 54's. I am convinced that this has nothing to do with my equipment set up and all to do with the user. I'm still doing regular exercise, and it IS making a difference but since the last time I really exercised and considered myself fit mobile phones hadn't been invented I have some way to go.

I have found that reducing some of my exercise on the BAR has also helped I'm not bench pressing 6 pints anymore I have reduced that to 2-3. This has resulted in my wallet becoming heavier as a bonus, so I'm using this for light exercise during the day. The benefits are obvious insomuch that I am able to use the additional weight in my wallet on various "Retail exercises" resulting in wallet equilibrium and more archery equipment.

So I have about a month to go before I go back to the ACC's and see if the "Healthy living" or "Healthy living + Line cutters" are where I'm improving.

The target in the next few weeks is to try and get a consolidated "C" Class and it would be nice to shoot my first 560+.

As I mentioned in my last post I would really like to hear what others are doing, using, is helping etc. etc. Feels like a bit of a one-way street here, and I don't want to give the impression I'm bragging about my achievements (although I am very pleased). I would like to hear what others are doing what helps what doesn't.

OK That's me done I'll try and post again in a week or so, hopefully with another good result. In the mean time "Keep aiming for the Custard" and good luck all.

Quimbyf

Supporter
Supporter
Hi all,

Been a few weeks so I thought I would update this again.

So what's not changed, well I'm still exercising regularly, still not smoking, and still cut the drinking down. What has changed, well I've lost 6lb's in weight since my first post, I thought it would be more but I'll put that down to muscle weighing more than fat....... and I feel stronger. Drawing the bow is easier for an extended period, I'm steadier and I can easily shoot 5 Dozen arrows.

After missing a couple of weeks, this week I did a WA18 (3 spot), the last attempt at this my score was 497, in November but before that it was always around the 470 mark. So how did I do this time ?

I did a couple of ends of sighters, and all looked good to my surprise, the sight adjustment between a WA18 and a Portsmouth was minimal (as you'd expect I guess) and the arrows were all in the gold. All good then, off I went. I hit the target with all 60 arrows and scored with each one so that's a good start. What was my score ? well for me it was a blistering hot 536 in the end so I'm super happy that is the second "C" Class one more to go and I will have got there.

What did surprise me though was that of the three targets I shot at there was a real patter of "Preferance". The top target seemed to have less holes in it, but that was due to the fact there were a lot of shots in the gold, and pretty much in the same place, the middle target, the gold was peppered with 2 eights and 1 seven. The bottom Target the holes were much more distributed slightly to the left all the time, enough golds, but it was clear that was my worse target with quite a few 8's there.

I shot bottom to top, so I was even more surprised at the distribution as I would have thought my first shot would be generally better, well that showed me how wrong I was.

I'm finding that it really is worth noting down all the things you do when you shoot, it's too easy to forget quickly and then that makes it difficult to see if you are producing some sort of trend, of course I can't say much more about this round than I already have as so much has changed since 1st Jan except it's a massive improvement, but next week I play to do another WA18 so I will have two sets of data, enough to produce a trend line ;-)

I scored 18 points or so more than needed for a "C" Class and loads more than my current average, lets hope next week I get somewhere close again. As the outdoor season is starting I have decided that once I get my "C" I will be moving outside so it's not going to be the comparison I stated, but my indoor handicap is now at 31, and my outdoor last year was at 44 so I'll use the handicaps as a marker for improvement based on health only. If the weather turns too bad to be outside I will get the ACC's out indoors and use them in the summer to give an indication of if it's "Healthy living" or "Healthy living + Line cutters" are where I'm improving as I mentioned before.

One other thing, out of pure curiosity I bought a set of digital scales that can measure grains (less than ?5 from a well known site) and weighed all my Triumphs, with one exception they all weighed in at 511 grains, so by fluke I have a nicely matched set of arrows. The points are still 200g and the fletchings are still Tite Flight (and lasting very well).

So until next time good luck all, and please post here if you have any comments I'd love to hear any suggestions to further improvements.

Quimbyf

Supporter
Supporter
Hi,

This will be the last post I make on this thread. I'm going to "Blog" my progress from here, but I thought I would just conclude the story.

The first bit of new is I have finally achieved the goal of getting "C" Class classification with a Portsmouth score of 562, my highest to date so that was a very pleasing result this Saturday.

I shot 27 10's, 5 8's and all the rest were 9's. This is the first time I have not shot a 7 in my round and the 8's were all just out so I'm super pleased with that too.

My equipment is still 34.5lb draw weight on my SF setup. Triumph arrows with feather fletchings and 200gn points. One additional piece of information is that I managed to weigh the arrows, just for fun (I found a set of scales on a popular shopping sight that measures in gn's for ?4.99) and all but one of my Triumphs weighed 516gn, the other one weighed 522gn. So by luck I made arrows that at least weigh exactly the same, I guess on one I must have used more glue on the point.

Since the outdoor season is upon us this will be the last time I shoot indoors unless the weather is bad, so the new goal is to get Bowman by the end of the Outdoor season. For this I have a new set up. Still SF but the riser is now VELOCITY. Limbs for the time being are still Axiom+ but I will be upping the poundage to 40lb. Arrows ACC's.

I'm still exercising daily, and keeping to a "reasonably" healthy lifestyle. I think this is probably the biggest factor in my improvement over the last 4 months, so if you want to improve before you look at your kit and think that is what is stopping you do as I did, have a look at the belly.

Wishing you all the best in your shooting

dfrois

Supporter
Supporter
Many thanks for this interesting thread, Quimbyf. I came here through a search about the Triumphs, and I am in the same position as you were, considering them for my next indoor season. It's good to know they worked for you, even with your help on the "soft" bits of the system! I used X7s last year, and it worked well enough, but was considering a change.

So congratulations on your scores, your classification, your healthy resolutions, and thanks for an interesting and informative read. Good luck on your season.

DF