Field Archery Course

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
Looks superb!
I and a few friends have set up our own small field archery course in a wood we rent and we all love it and much prefer it to target shooting on a field.
One thing I would recommend is Gateway Feather Tracers fitted to arrows. Makes them so much easier to find and you can see where your arrows are going. They are a bit of a faff to fit but well worth it.
Here is a link to them at Merlin but, of course most archery shops sell them.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Looks superb!
I and a few friends have set up our own small field archery course in a wood we rent and we all love it and much prefer it to target shooting on a field.
One thing I would recommend is Gateway Feather Tracers fitted to arrows. Makes them so much easier to find and you can see where your arrows are going. They are a bit of a faff to fit but well worth it.
Here is a link to them at Merlin but, of course most archery shops sell them.

I've looked at those in the past but assumed that they would be like a parachute on the back of the arrow. Do the sight marks not change?

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I've looked at those in the past but assumed that they would be like a parachute on the back of the arrow. Do the sight marks not change?
No, not at all. They weigh nothing and are very soft so they flatten in flight but you can see the arrow all the way to the target ( or past it lol).
You can see them in the target so it tells you exactly where your shot went. Much easier to find missed shots too.
I wouldn't shoot without them.
I find the best way to fit them is to stick a small piece of double sided fletching tape in a spiral behind the fletch and then stick the tracer to that. Much less messy than glue.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
A bit misty today.

IMG_20210106_150355.jpg

There's a zebra at the end of the lane with a cracking shot in it but you'll need to take my word for it as the photo isn't high enough resolution to prove me wrong 😁

IMG_20210106_145343.jpg

At the end of this lane is a kangaroo painted by a member who is a retired sign writer. He makes me really jealous - with two shades of brown paint and a bit of hessian he can draw a stunning animal with a few brush strokes that I could never manage with all the equipment that I desired.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
shot the course a couple of years ago .... was knackered when I got to the course after walk from where we had to park. good day althou we left 2 arrows there! (red fletched parabolic woodies if you see them)

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Hopefully I will be shooting in the next few months, but expect to be looking at bluebells rather than snow :( Haven't shot in snow for years :)

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
I'm still shooting our Field 3D course, we have two adjacent woods with 40 3D targets a great testing course, of course I have to shoot it virtually (photos of course) in the garage, but at least as you can see it's summer so quite warm!

Target 25B.jpg

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Went up to the course the other day; we had brilliant sunshine.

IMG_20210112_151604.jpg

This was taken just as the sun was setting. The bear at the top is the 'official' target; half way up the bank is a ram and at the bottom is a 3D otter with about an inch of lichen on its back that somebody got second hand and donated to the club.

All three obviously have an arrow in the 'kill', but yet again you'll need to take my word for it due to the lack of resolution of the photo :D

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
IMG_20210115_153612.jpg

"I was an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

"But on a more positive note, I'm really popular in the choir these days."

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
I used to print unique targets for our halloween shoots. I had 2 zombie targets - full body about 3feet long with head and heart kill zones. I was repeatedly asked to include a crotch kill zone on the zombies for reasons that as far as I could see boiled down to "giggling".