Field archery location, flexible access days and times, south east .

Hobobow

Greetings,

Possible returning archer here, I did have a account years ago on the site that has long since been forgotten, and before I get my bows out and arrow making jig recommisioned a brief question if I may.

I shot a lot as a junior and did a fair amount of field archey when living abroad but it would be all but impossible to get any resonable use out of a club membership that operates only on Sundays these days.

I am wondering if anyone knows of, or is a member of a club or location that offers a place to shoot through out the week?. I work a 12 week rota so hence the need for flexibility with days and times.

I vaguely remember being told their was a site maybe in Essex that had a membership scheme that gave access to a field archery site that offered open access of sorts through the week but cannot find anything online now, it may have been near Chelmsford?.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ref this site or any other location.

bobnewboy

Greetings,
Possible returning archer here, I did have a account years ago on the site that has long since been forgotten, and before I get my bows out and arrow making jig recommisioned a brief question if I may.
I shot a lot as a junior and did a fair amount of field archey when living abroad but it would be all but impossible to get any resonable use out of a club membership that operates only on Sundays these days.
I am wondering if anyone knows of, or is a member of a club or location that offers a place to shoot through out the week?. I work a 12 week rota so hence the need for flexibility with days and times.
I vaguely remember being told their was a site maybe in Essex that had a membership scheme that gave access to a field archery site that offered open access of sorts through the week but cannot find anything online now, it may have been near Chelmsford?.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ref this site or any other location.
You dont say where you are based, so this might not be much use....

My old club, The Company of Sixty FA, is based just outside of the M25, between junctions 9 and 10 of the M25. They have, or at least had, 24x7 exclusive access to woodland rented from the Crown Estate, with four loops of 20 targets available. They are an NFAS club, so you would need to join the NFAS, but it works out as very good value for money. Give the contact numbers on their website a try, or drop them an email.

See Company of 60

Cheers, Bob

Last edited:

Riceburner

Greetings,

Where in the SE? Given the M25 and travel times - it makes a huge difference to what would be suggested.

I'd have a look at the NFAS (National Field Archery Society) website - there's a map of their club locations (it's not quite complete unfortunately, last time I looked) - and you'll most likely be able to find 2 or 3 clubs near enough to be worth investigating.

For reference - I'm based in Woking and have easy access to Magna Carta and Company of 60, but there's several others in or near Surrey.

Similarly each county has a couple, if not more NFAS clubs.

There's other Field archery societies as well as some AGB clubs who do field.

Hobobow

Where in the SE? Given the M25 and travel times - it makes a huge difference to what would be suggested.

I'd have a look at the NFAS (National Field Archery Society) website - there's a map of their club locations (it's not quite complete unfortunately, last time I looked) - and you'll most likely be able to find 2 or 3 clubs near enough to be worth investigating.

For reference - I'm based in Woking and have easy access to Magna Carta and Company of 60, but there's several others in or near Surrey.

Similarly each county has a couple, if not more NFAS clubs.

There's other Field archery societies as well as some AGB clubs who do field.
Sorry for very late reply folks, obviously a fair amount has changed since my last visit. Hope everyone is well.

I say the SE as to be honest I do not expect the type of shooting option to be very common and expect to travel, I am based bang on the London/Essex border for future reference.

Field archery is my preferred option but realistically I would be happy to hear of any site that has a open access option as opposed to the regular Sunday morning and Wednesday evening. I am not really interested in Target competition and I would be looking at using a range of bows as I have got more into the Tradational side of things years past. I have been really really spoiled in that when abroad I would be able to walk out of the door then head off stump shooting until I got lost or bored..

(y)

Riceburner

Sorry for very late reply folks, obviously a fair amount has changed since my last visit. Hope everyone is well.

I say the SE as to be honest I do not expect the type of shooting option to be very common and expect to travel, I am based bang on the London/Essex border for future reference.

Field archery is my preferred option but realistically I would be happy to hear of any site that has a open access option as opposed to the regular Sunday morning and Wednesday evening. I am not really interested in Target competition and I would be looking at using a range of bows as I have got more into the Tradational side of things years past. I have been really really spoiled in that when abroad I would be able to walk out of the door then head off stump shooting until I got lost or bored..

(y)
As suggested - check the NFAS website map.

Here : NFAS - UK Club Map

Without a location more accurate than "London/Essex border" we can only make generic suggestions, but there appears to be 2 clubs near Chelmsford which would appear to be the closest to you.