Finger separators

Mick Sunderland

I've now tried a number of tabs (AF, SF and Saka) and all leave me a little dissatisfied in that they don't have really substantial finger separators. I've seen photographs of Naomi Folkard and Simon Terry where they seem to have really substantial separators. I've also seen the Venom tab from Black Mamba while surfing the net. Can anyone help with the availability of similar products in UK.

tel

Fonz Awardee
I've been on the lookout for similar Mick. Spotted one on merlin that may suit and have asked Clicki for an opinion on another thread - waiting on a reply ;)

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
There aren't many on the market, although the spacer on new KSL gold tab, marketed through AAE is VERY substantial.

Like grips, you can use body filler, milliput, polymorph, sugru, etc, etc to modify a standard (e.g. A&F) spacer to suit your own specific requirements. You can also, with a bit of work, make your own from solid metal or wood to suit.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
any experience of the Aco Hockii Murray?

I'm using one as my main tab. I really like it.
The finger separator is not unlike the Soma/Joomong ones. Fairly substantial (IMHO), but not massive...all depends on how big you want it. As Murray suggests, filler or similar may be the best way to go.

Darryl

I've now tried a number of tabs (AF, SF and Saka) and all leave me a little dissatisfied in that they don't have really substantial finger separators. I've seen photographs of Naomi Folkard and Simon Terry where they seem to have really substantial separators. I've also seen the Venom tab from Black Mamba while surfing the net. Can anyone help with the availability of similar products in UK.
As Murray has pointed out you'll most likely have to experiment and modify your own. Take a look at most photos of Simon Terry and you'll see he's using a Large A+F tab and the spacer has some sort of epoxy filler or the like added to it and then shaped.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I use a block of FIMO cut into 4, squeeze a chunk gently between the fingers to indent it in all the right places, wind the screw(s)/bolt(s) into the soft material and leave there. I take out the leather bits of my tab and screw the plate on to make the spacing spot on. Pop it in the oven at the correct temperature for half an hour, remove and when cool remove the bolts and reassemble with the rest of your tab. It can be filed or trimmed if necessary after that but I've never needed to. I've never broken one and been using the same one for 2 years now. It's cheap, easy, repeatable (I have 2 or three made up just in case) and comfortable. I'll see if I can post some photos over the weekend if anyone is interested.

Mick Sunderland

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Some seem better suited to my needs than others. The one thing I'm learning is that many equipment items really are a matter of personal comfort/ taste. I'm also sure that comfort has a lot to do with confidence in equipment.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Homemade separators

Photo0059.jpg
This is what you'll need. I have removed the leather facings and elastic.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
hope you can see this...

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h435/TToad1/Photo0060.jpg

I use about a quarter of the pack...

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h435/TToad1/Photo0061.jpg

...squeeze it between the fingers gently to shape it.

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h435/TToad1/Photo0062.jpg

Now put the support on and fit the screws in gently. Wriggle fingers free and it is off to the oven. If you have any plastic on your tab you should probably take it off first. Follow FIMO baking instructions.

More pics to follow later....

Darryl

Instead of screwing into the FIMO have you tried a metal threaded insert such as these?

threaded inserts

They're meant for inserting into wood but I'm sure they'd do the same job and once the FIMO is set you'll have a decent thread to screw into.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
inserts

Could use them but would increase the cost. A good "thread" seems to be created in the fimo and I've never broken one or had one split (and the reason I started making them in the first place was the torque I used to put on normal spacers made them crack).
Still, the point is for the price of one block of fimo you can experiment with four different shapes and sizes, can be shaped when hardened as well and is long lasting. I've been using my current one for years.
Be a kid again and have some fun!

Big.Dave

Sorry, no. I don't like the look of the spacer however - it's similar to a shape I experimented with a while back (when playing with polymorph), and it didn't work for me. Might work for some of course! I'm currently using a squarish clear Soma spacer on my Cavalier Elite tab... As seen over there: http://www.archery-interchange.net/f10/cavalier-tab-retrofit-16704/.
+1 on the Clear Soma spacer its very comfortable and gives me a nice cutting release.
Once again thanks for the tip Murray I've been putting in lots of PB since I changed to the soma and it has defiantly contributed to getting them.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
tel said:
I've been on the lookout for similar Mick. Spotted one on merlin that may suit and have asked Clicki for an opinion on another thread - waiting on a reply ;)
oops! didn't i share? i use the clear soma spacer (has bjd embossed on it, but it's part of the soma/fivics family). i tried lots and lots of other spacers, but this works for me.

i tried the aco hokii one and hated it. didn't get on with the soma tabs either.

Darryl

Increase the price??? Anybody would of thought they were like ?10ea or something but they're 20p each insert. Yes you have to buy in a pack of 5 with a minimum amount of 5 and a min order of ?2/3 but I order all my spare bolts, nuts for mine and my gf's bow and tabs from modelfixings anyway. If you want replacement countersunk and button head M3/M4 screws for the Soma Saker Tab, not sure if the Cav Elite uses metric or imperial yet. Will be looking at that today.