Finger separators

Darryl

Timid I plan to mate :) Sorry if it sounded like I was having a go. Just thought it was a bit funny that you thought it would increase the price but for ?0.20 I thought they were quite reasonable and make a professional finish to the spacer. Had a look at FIMO on eBay and will look at purchasing some. I was considering white as my bow combination is black and white so I thought it'd go well with the cav elite. However I'm concerned that it will get dirty quite quickly. I guess you could lacquer the FIMO?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
No Worries :)
I haven't tried varishing fimo but I do scrub my spacer with soapy water when it starts to get a bit grubby. Let us know how you get on...

tel

Fonz Awardee
No Worries :)
I haven't tried varishing fimo but I do scrub my spacer with soapy water when it starts to get a bit grubby. Let us know how you get on...
Hi again TT - quite keen on having a go with this, what size Fimo pack are you using?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Hi Tel
Pack says 56g, and is about 5x5x1cm in size. Didn't know they came any bigger! Mine came from the local craft shop, but it is on eBay too.
Let us know how you get on!
TT

urbin

I tried this with Fimo (well, another brand but the same thing) in the weekend. Worked really well except for my screw-hole - the screw just never fits in tight afterwards. Any tips about how you managed this? I tried to "screw" it into the clay the first time, and the second one I just pushed it in and pressed the clay around it - neither worked.

tel

Fonz Awardee
I was wondering about this - I know you're supposed to be able to tap milliput and I'm guessing this is a similar material when cured so perhaps a drill and tap after curing would produce better results?

urbin

I was wondering about this - I know you're supposed to be able to tap milliput and I'm guessing this is a similar material when cured so perhaps a drill and tap after curing would produce better results?
I was thinking the same thing.... might have another bash at it later this evening (and post the results if they're not too embarassing). I have a lovely shade of red to play with, plus some translucent that I'm keen to experiment with!

petehulme

What temperature oven do you bake the Fimo in?

My Cavalier Elite works with the screws through the spacer and screwed into the plate from the back, not screwed into the spacer. I was thinking about buying a spare spacer and adding the Fimo to it but I'm concerned whether the plastic spacer will melt when baking the Fimo?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I've only tried Fimo. I just screw the plate to the soft clay as far as it will go with a screwdriver - it goes in straighter than with fingers - and leave it together until "cooked". As my plate is all ali it can cope with being in the oven. The expansion doesn't seem to be a problem either. Seems to make a good thread to tap into. My screws have quite an open thread, if yours are close spaced it might be more tricky.
If your clay doesn't work the same why not use Darryl's suggestions and put some threaded inserts in while soft?
Hope you can get it working...
TT

urbin

What temperature oven do you bake the Fimo in?

My Cavalier Elite works with the screws through the spacer and screwed into the plate from the back, not screwed into the spacer. I was thinking about buying a spare spacer and adding the Fimo to it but I'm concerned whether the plastic spacer will melt when baking the Fimo?
I wouldn't put the spacer in the oven. I didn't put any part of mine into the oven apart from the screw - I could've put the tab in but couldn't be bothered removing the leather.

I believe Fimo is baked at about 110deg C.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
You do need to take off the leather and anything plastic. I assemble the spacer onto the plate and bake (fimo says 130 deg 30 mins) to make sure it stays square to the plate. It also means when you go to put the leather back in the screws cannot overtighten and split the fimo.

I have tried an Elite, and you can take off the spacer and bolt through from the other side into a new spacer (bought or homemade). I have tried sticking bits to the sides of an existing spacer and find it very unsatisfactory and have tried carving bits of plastic, nylon, and wood. Took too long, split or didn't fit comfortably. Back to the fimo for me...