Carter First back tension release

drummo

Hi all,

I've shot a index finger trigger release since starting shooting compoundvand have had great success

But reading how well peoples form improves, and aiding in target panic (which I slightly get at 60+ yds)

I've got it down to two the Carter evolution or the carter honey anybody shoot these I. Or help with advice?

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk 4

Buy the book core archery by Larry Wise , then read it , read it again and again and again . Then try and do what you've read .A hinge release IMHO isn't a cure for TP and you can learn to punch one just like you do any other type of release aid . I know I mastered it and am now on a slow road to recovery learning to shoot one with proper back tension . If at all possible try before you buy with a string loop adjusted to represent yor draw length , when the release happens the string loop should shoot of in front of you , if it drops round your hand you weren't using BT you punched it .
hope this won't put you of trying but for most people it's a long road to take using to type of release and your scores will drop to start with but once you get it it's the best feeling shoot you will get .

PetrolHead

AIUK Saviour
I used to own an Evo (I bought it to cure "target panic") and didn't like it at all. I found that the case didn't fit my fingers and that the mechanism wasn't very smooth. However, I also believe that these two problems were more down to me than the release. Regarding a cure for target panic, I found that the Evo didn't work. I was just as able to hold away from gold with it as I was with my trigger. My cure came when I stood at about 3yds holding on gold for 30secs a time, 3 times, then making the shot in the same way on the 4th draw. I also now make absolutely sure that my shoulder blades have room to move and that I can squeeze across my back. It was hard work, it took a long time but I worked my way back and can comfortably shoot scores I am happy with.
I have shot the Honey a handful of times and found that when knocking the safety off, I'd move slightly as it clicked off. I didn't quite jump but that's a good way to describe it. Of the two, I'd advocate the Honey but there's no substitute for re-learning how to shoot. All that a back-tension or hinge will do is plaster over the problem.

Marcus26

for severe cases of target panic I could not recommend the Evolution enough. Had quite a few people I help out go from unable to hit a target to winning major competitions thanks to the Evolution. It's a brilliant release.
The Honey I'm not 100% on. I've played with safety hinges before and they are OK, but a lot of moving parts. I would suggest go to a normal hinge with a click as a safety which is a simpler way to go. With that said the world record 1419 was shot with a Solution 3.

If you go to a hinge with a click, get one with a reasonable amount of travel after the click, then have it click while you come into anchor. Not while you are aiming. I see a lot of people
anchor aim aim aim aim click shoot
Personally I go
Click anchor aim aim aim shoot

Another great trick for target panic is to remove the dot from your scope. Shooting with an open circle really helps remove the anxiety of aiming and teaches you to execute correctly. It's accurate too.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
..and as someone who has used 3 Evolutions of varying temperament over the years - I now use a STAN Element and I can't recommend it highly enough - it comes in three(trio) and four(quattro) versions and also medium and large.

for severe cases of target panic I could not recommend the Evolution enough. Had quite a few people I help out go from unable to hit a target to winning major competitions thanks to the Evolution. It's a brilliant release.
The Honey I'm not 100% on. I've played with safety hinges before and they are OK, but a lot of moving parts. I would suggest go to a normal hinge with a click as a safety which is a simpler way to go. With that said the world record 1419 was shot with a Solution 3.

If you go to a hinge with a click, get one with a reasonable amount of travel after the click, then have it click while you come into anchor. Not while you are aiming. I see a lot of people
anchor aim aim aim aim click shoot
Personally I go
Click anchor aim aim aim shoot

Another great trick for target panic is to remove the dot from your scope. Shooting with an open circle really helps remove the anxiety of aiming and teaches you to execute correctly. It's accurate too.

Marcus26

Yep the Element has a better mechanism for sure, the double seers are a lot more reliable

Adam

This get a strong recommendation from me - it can be a huge help.