[English Longbow] First longbow

Chrisj

Hi all,

Im new to the bow making scene (please be gentle... lol), i have got myself a nice peice of white ash, enough to have a couple of attempts, i was wondering if i should back this or just use it on its own? as im not completly sure of the properties of the wood on its own!!

if it should be backed, what do you think would be my best options?

any help on this is greatly apprieciated.

dimreaper

Ash is a pretty good bow wood, and if the back is one unbroken growth ring you should be ok without backing it. if the back is a bit suspect ie: the growth ring is violated ( no jokes please :raspberry ) then you will have to back it to avoid it blowing up in your face. its not nice:dizzy:. bamboo, linen, hickory, sinew, even gaffa tape have all been used to good effect. its trying to find a backing that won't overpower the belly thats the tricky bit. That will depend on the draw weight you are aiming for. Raw linen is a pretty safe bet, as is bamboo on most bows between 30- 50#. I'm not an expert, but my limited experience has lead me to these conclusions. Hope this helps!

Chrisj

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, the bow will be around the 30 lbs in draw weight, just recovered from a serious chest operation, so got to start it low and build it up again.

but thanks again will take it all on board, and see how i get on.....