Fishing Line as String Material

Bertybobby

I am wondering if anyone has used Dyneema or Spectra fishing line as a string material? If so how did you go on?

Cost wise it is significantly cheaper than the line sold as bow string. It seems a very similar product.

Please feel free to say the idea is insane!!

lbp121

It may well be very similar as most of our stuff is a spin-off from another industry. In the other hand, how much a saving would it be? Masking your own strings costs about ?3-4 on materials, can last a year or more and you only need one per bow and the old one as a spare.
Looking at some available line, the breaking strain is around 30lb, some at 45. My bowstring thread has a breaking strain of 130 lb so I'd need 4 times more thread to make a similar string, is that cheaper?
Think I'll stay with branded known products!

Bertybobby

I am inclined to agree with you.

From China on that well known auction site, you can get a 1000m of Spectra for about ?12 delivered, pick your breaking strain up to about 140lb.

Apparently most of the stuff is used in sailing, for making very strong rope. I wondered if anyone knew if essentially it is being branded and guess what we pay quadrupel for the same thing.

Unless someone can give me some guidance, I will stick to the branded archery stuff.

Phil Reay

thought fishing line was built to stretch and flex to take the strain of the fish thrashing about. wouldn't work on a bow as you don't want the string stretching if you can help it. don't actually fish so can't really say too much

Bertybobby

Phil, mono filament does stretch and is the clear line we are used to.

The dyneema line is braided spun line, in all colours and breaking stains with no stretch.

I have been on the dyneema website and it is used in all sorts of stuff including body armour and cut resistant fabric.

Might drop them a line (forgive the pun) tomorrow to enquire.

Bertybobby

Found this on a fishing site....

Dyneema and Spectra fishing lines are both made from gel spun ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE). Dyneema is the registered trademark of the Dutch company Royal DSM. They invented it in 1979. Spectra is the Honeywell trade name for the same stuff, with just enough difference in the production not to infringe. But the properties of the end product are so close, I think everyone considers them equivalent.

Strandline

Agree with the comment about fishing line stretching. Monofilament does stretch, but the braided stuff doesn't, which is one of the reasons it is used for lure fishing. You can feel every movement of the lure when using lightweight gear. Also it is considerably thinner for the same breaking strain so has less wind resistance when casting.

Bertybobby

Browsing some US sites, some seem to use it as serving thread. Some say that it is very similar / the same as Halo serving thread.

Might get some and try out as serving.

Strandline

Browsing some US sites, some seem to use it as serving thread. Some say that it is very similar / the same as Halo serving thread.

Might get some and try out as serving.
Lol - hadn't thought of that, I have reels of the stuff. Did try using fly-tying silk for nocks but it wasn't strong enough. The braid should work fine...

WillS

Quite a few of the US primitive archer guys use Dyneema as bowstring, along with serving material. As with every hobby/sport etc, it's convenience that we pay for. An archery shop will easily stick ?10 onto a product provided there's a picture of a bow on the box, whereas you could get the exact same product cheaper somewhere else.

Phil Reay

Ok. Go for it then, but please be careful. I had a limb explode on me once and wasn't an experience I'd like to repeat. Should imagine a string snapping would be pretty similar.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have started using 'Spectra Extreme Braid' braided fishing line for my servings. I get 300 metres for a fraction of the price of Diamondback 100 yds! The size I use is 60lb B/S 0.4 mm (don't forget that they use non-metric dimensions for archery thread specifications. You will need to get the metric equivalent e.g 0.2" = 0.4mm approx). Mine have done about a dozen sessions with no signs of fraying or unwinding. I still use 8125 for the string though.

Dennis

Bertybobby

The 20lb line is 0.2mm thick and the 15lb is about 0.16mm. 30lb is 0.26mm thick.

I am going to try some 20lb as serving.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
That would be some chunky serving! I make .4mm about 0.015".
My diamondback is 0.018". I use an 18 strand string and with the Spectra 0.4mm my 'G' nocks are a nice fit, an arrow falls off the string with a tap on the string when held vertically to test the nock fit.

Dennis