fishtailing arrows

Sinbad

HI All,

So just started up again with my compound after back issues, and for some reason I am getting what looks like fishtailing when shooting long distances. Groups are not bad up to 70 (not gone longer until full strength is back).

New strings before I started back at the club. Re-tuned the bow (dropped poundage to around 50-52#) cams are aligned and no lean, arrow rest reset as looked a little high to start, and thought it may be hitting the body, so that is on the line of the body, and powder tested so it’s not hitting. New d-loop etc. 28.5 draw with ACC 3-39 440 80g point if I remember right.

I have paper shot the bow from 6 and 10 feet, giving holes with no nock tear. Before I tear down a couple of arrows for shaft shooting to see where they fall compared to fletched arrows, any other pointers?

I don’t grip the bow as I use a wrist strap, so don’t think I am doing it with the hand (groups well until tired). One thing I have is that the peep is about 45 degrees to the left as you look at the string, which is corrected with the d-loop when pulling back, could that be an issue?

The arrows land straight when shot at short and long distance, so wonder if it may be my old eyes playing tricks.

Any and all responses welcome.

Cheers

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Although you may not grip the bow, do you torque it? Get someone to take a look at you.

Sinbad

Will see if I can see a coach at some point. They may spot it. Going to take half turn off the limbs see if that helps. Thanks for the reply

jerryRTD

If you are shooting bullet holes you are not torqueing the bow. My money is on the old eyes.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Not necessarily - if by torquing the bow you are producing the illusion of a good tune with bullet holes it still ain't right.
Still stands: get looked at by someone with experience, not necessarily a coach, and definitely don't get diagnosed by us lot!

Whitehart

Could be just the reaction of looking out to see your arrow - rather than finishing off the shot properly

Sinbad

Thanks guys, not sure what it was. Took half turn out of each limb, took the rest off, cleaned etc and put it back on, still spot on, shot and all was fine. Put the half turn back in and still fine, so think it was either bad release from only doing a couple of rounds or just the way I was looking down the range a mental picture thing. Either way, seems to have sorted itself out

4d4m

Could also have been the arrows catching a bit of crosswind down range. The arrow turns into the wind, like a weathercock, to maintain straight flight relative to the airflow. With a cross wind, the airflow that the arrow encounters is at an angle to the target.