[American Flatbow] flatbow? longbow?

yewbow

Hi all

I was waching mith busters the other nigth. The one were they try to split the arrow using a ELB. But it was a AFB why do they keep calling it a english longbow its the same on youtube put in longbow and there is more of them saying i shoot a longbow when its a AFB not an ELB. This is like saying i drive a jag when its a BMW both very nice but not the same . Is an AFB a longbow? :confused:

Karen

Not in England - but for most of us in the rest of the world the longbow category includes the Flatbow. Hence the youtube references.

Indeed the English Long bow is regarded abroad by many as a bit eccentric I think, and in the IFAA it comes under the 'Historical Bow' category.

But never mind - we can't shoot our long(whoops) flatbows in the UK very easily as the categories there put us in the barebow class against the recurves quite often, unless you can squeeze into the Traditional class, or we have to go to the IFAA affiliated clubs, or the NFAS where they are recognised for their own merit.

But then maybe it is just the rest of the world that is out of step !

( sorry - had a bad night !!!!!!!!)

steve Morley

Indeed the English Long bow is regarded abroad by many as a bit eccentric I think, and in the IFAA it comes under the 'Historical Bow' category.
I think there is a small fan base of ELB in USA (Pope and Young shot ELB's shipped from UK), Germany and one Estonian making\shooting English longbows, much harder to shoot than an AFB, respect to those guys that shoot them well.