[American Flatbow] Flatbow Paradox

BR-Archer

Hi, I was thinking about buying a cheap flatbow n getting into some traditional archery

I was just wondering how much paradox is involved when shooting a close to centre flatbow, as some of you may know a bow without a window needs an arrow with a spine lower than the bow weight so the arrow flexes round the handle on release. So how are flatbows spined? Are they spined too the bow or slightly less than the bow weight similar to a longbow

Cheers

D

Deleted member 7654

Probably spined somewhere between a recurve and a longbow. say 5-10 lower than the poundage.
IMO slightly low is better than high, depends how fast the bow is too and how high it's braced, some AFBs are braced pretty high.
Certainly go lower if it's a self bow.
Del

BR-Archer

Thanks buddy, that's what I was thinking but as we all no it's just an educated guess and I won't no until I get my bow

I only asked as I already have some arrows spined at 50-55lbs n would like to make use of them as the bow I was using them with has undergone some expensive upgrades including nice new arrows

I know ur not supposed to match a bow to an arrow but thort I'd give it a shot before splashing out on some more arrows

modernlongbow

Hello, BR Archer:
You nailed it. I shoot a 71" 50 lb AFB which is centre-cut. Arrows were all over the place until I widened its sweet spot by putting a valley in the arrow shelf. The velvet that comes with velcro closutes makes great valley material, and is nowhere near as expensive as sealskin. Make a valley that relieves the stress on the fletches going by, and you'll be hitting. Lining the arrow up in the valley is the first part of my anchor procedure. After going to my anchor point with the draw fingers, arrow included, I build my sight picture forward, until I have the appropriate gap for the distance being shot. Arrr, gotcha! Another hit.