Fletch size Indoor & Outdoor

ColinL

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hi All

I'm currently shooting 2" spin wings on a 38# recurve. I heard somewhere that smaller vanes are preferable outdoors (I have a pack of the same fletches in 1.75"). Any thoughts?

Corax67

For my 40# OTF recurve I have Bohning X-shield fletching on my ACC’s which are 1.5”

The sole reason I shoot that size of fletching is because I bought a new set of fully made up arrows arrows that someone else had ordered but then never collected so they were heavily discounted. They perform very ŵell out to 100yds and any misses are solely operator error.

I think people go for big fletching indoors is more to stabilise the arrow as quickly as possible over the short distance - I’ve seen recurves shooting 4” vanes indoors on very thick arrows such as 2516’s.

Karl

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Hi All

I'm currently shooting 2" spin wings on a 38# recurve. I heard somewhere that smaller vanes are preferable outdoors (I have a pack of the same fletches in 1.75"). Any thoughts?
It really depends on your form. 2" spinwings are not large by any means. On my compound, where arrows come out with no instability at all I use 1.5" or 1.75" fletchings. If you are a good form recurve shooter they will also work for you. I also shoot barebow and 2" vanes give my arrows that bit more stability when string walking but indoors I will use 4" vanes.
So if you have not been shooting long or your form is not perfect I would stay with the 2" vanes.