Fletching Glue

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
<font size="2">I've just had my first attempt at fletching an arrow. I've used Fastset Gel (Superior Nock and Vane Adhesive) on Plasti-fletch vanes and ACC shafts - it appears to have welded the vanes to the shaft and they're not coming off! Can anyone advise on a better adhesive for putting the vanes on - one that's a bit more forgiving and will allow me to remove vanes for repositioning?</font></p>

<font size="2">Thanks :)</font></p>

Archery1st

Dave, if you want to be able to move/adjust vanes once you have them first put in the jig, you will need to use a glue like fletch tite, but do allow 20 Min's before removing the clamp.? I personally use a type of super glue as I like to be able to shoot my arrows minutes after fletching them, but it does require a little trial and error to find the correct placement, I can build a dozen shafts from scratch in about 1 hour including drinking my coffee's :)</p>

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
If you want vanes that don't melt onto the shaft, try FlexFletch. They're a lot tougher than Plastifletch too. I've got them on my A/C/Cs, and they're definitely the best fletch I've used so far.

They can be removed more easily and more cleanly than Plastifletch.

The only downsides of FlexFletch are:
- they can be hard to find in local archery shops. I had to mail-order them from Quick's.
- the shaft and vane must be super-clean -- fingerprints or other grease will prevent a decent bond from forming.

gwynn

I use Bohning Fletching Tape - double sided tape, bought from Quicks. Really, really good, been using it a few years now with no problems and so easy to use [as long as you have at least one fingernail to peel off the backing] and fast to apply. I shoot field and I was worried about losing a fletching if an arrow shot off through a wet bush/es, no problem at all. Recommended.

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
TJ Mason - 8/5/2005 10:54 AM

- the shaft and vane must be super-clean -- fingerprints or other grease will prevent a decent bond from forming.
As you know Dave, I learned this to my cost last Friday! Cleaned them up acetone and they stuck much better. However, I won't be using the Fletch-Tite Platinum again. Gone back to ordinary Fletch-Tite - it's a thicker formula than the Platinum so you can run a proper bead of glue down the vane.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
<font size="2">Finally managed to get the remains of the fletchings off by rubbing a sharp scalpel up and down the shaft?and plenty of nail varnish remover (with added vitamin E).</font></p>

<font size="2">Thanks for the suggestions - will be trying a couple of them :)</font></p>

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I used Bostik for years - the general purpose stuff seems to work as well as any proprietary fletching glue.

I never had any luck with the "fastset" stuff - it always seemed to stick incompletely, with one end or the other lifting, then be unmovable. Of course after a couple of years, it becomes brittle enough that the fletchings just fall off...

I tried Kurly vane tape on ordinary vanes once. It worked, and I keep some around for "emergency" repairs, but glue is easier to deal with.

I'm currently shooting Cygnus vanes (remember those?) with a mixture of Kurly vane tape and the original (pre-applied) adhesive, but I'm running out of salvageable vanes, so I'll probably be going back to something else in the near future...