Fletching

Windknot

I use 3x4" feathers, right helical for field archery- I prefer shield cut, but I'm not too fussy.

If there's a broadhead out front I go up to 5" shields- just makes life so much easier.

Gateway or Trueflight? Doesn't matter- I re-grind the quills anyway.

And I stick them on with Bohning Fletch tape.

Hope this helps.

Jakes

Windknot

Prolly not.

Best FITA shooter I knew shot Kurly Vanes- about 1 3/4 inches - but you need to bareshaft tune really well to get the best out of them.

I stubbornly stuck to bohning vanes when I shot FITA- worked OK but I had a nagging suspicion there was something better out there. But it's so hard to make the switch based on ads and reputations when the actual product hasn't reached your shores yet.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I recommend FlexFletch vanes. Divvils to stick, but tough as old boots.

Barry C

Plastic vanes are getting a lot of reccomendation I havn't shot them for some time now... Maybe its time for some more? :)

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
FlexFletch are very different to the PlastiFletch vanes you might have used before, despite looking identical. FF vanes have a higher rubber content, so they're a lot tougher. They're also a little heavier and more difficult to stick. I wouldn't say they're for everybody, but they suit me very well.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
TJ Mason - 25/7/2005 1:45 PM FlexFletch are very different to the PlastiFletch vanes you might have used before, despite looking identical. FF vanes have a higher rubber content, so they're a lot tougher. They're also a little heavier and more difficult to stick. I wouldn't say they're for everybody, but they suit me very well.
</p>

I started using FlexFletch after TJ recommended them and they do seem to absorb a lot more punishment than the PlastiFletch ones; especially when I'm practicing at?home and there's a lot of arrow rattling going on - the PlastiFletch were usually all shot off by the end of the 3rd end!</p>

Barry C

Wa, everyone is saying get some FF. So I will buy some... I think my brother used to shoot FF and they did have a very thin base, so I will get some AAE to stick them onto an arrow wrap. </p>

With stiffer arrows I can wind it up a bit more :)</p>

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Barry C - 25/7/2005 2:01 PM

Wa, everyone is saying get some FF. So I will buy some... I think my brother used to shoot FF and they did have a very thin base, so I will get some AAE to stick them onto an arrow wrap. </p>

With stiffer arrows I can wind it up a bit more :)</p>
</p>

I can recommend the orange ones - they're faster than black. ;)</p>

Field Archer

When prepared properly, FF will stick really well to carbon or wraps with ordinary fletching glues, AAE not really necessary.

As Limbwalker has told you on the Saggi board, FFP187 are good for small diameter carbons. They may be slightly longer than the usual 175, but they are lower profile, less drag and lower chance of clearance problems.
The majority of field archers that use plastic vanes, use FF, mainly because they are very robust, if you have a pass through, they often come out the other side of the target still usable.

One small down side about using plastic vanes instead of spinnys, is the small reduction in FOC. Depending on arrow length, you can lose about 1.5 ? 2%.

Barry C

I think FOC will be ok, I'm at about 19% with spin vanes. I am lazy at preparing so I think AAE is for me ;)

Field Archer

Barry C - 25/7/2005 4:31 PM

I think FOC will be ok, I'm at about 19% with spin vanes. I am lazy at preparing so I think AAE is for me ;)
If you are using the same arrows as you have in your signiture on Saggi (ACE 570 100gr Snap Off Points), your shaft will need to be about 21" long to be in the region of 19% FOC. ;)

Barry C

Well you may say that but I measured it. I have 570's that are c2, a light set. But I really don't mind if you believe me or not. They shoot fantastic.

Barry C

Actually I just double checked, its 17.2% FOC The shaft is 29 inches long, the balance point 9.5 inches from the front of the shaft. I think I did my origional measurement of a bareshaft to get over 18%.

jerryRTD

I shoot Kurly vanes and I am satisfied with them. I use 27" ACC's 3-28 500 spine with 100grain points peak draw weight about 55lbs 65% let off,off an Oneida Pro Eagle. The thing I like about them is the ease of replacement.