Foot Safety

D

Deleted member 74

Last night, I practiced in flip-flops, with no injury or threat of injury to my feet. Why does GNAS only allow closed-toed shoes at their shoots? The best we could come up with last night was that misses that fall short can potentially stick into toes or feet if you happen to stand on them. But surely the incidence of this happening would be very slim...?

Maybe GNAS should consider more things to do with the safety of archers - like whether we should be made to wear a hat in the sunshine. Or beanies when it's cold! :)

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
I was told that theoretically it was possible to shoot yourself in the foot when coming down (would need a very open stance and TBH I doubt even steelies would save you if you did)

Out of interest....last time I shot in flipflops I ended up taking them off completely because I found that they were sending my arrows right or forcing me to lean forward.
I know the same thing has been found by a couple of others in my club, did you find any difference?

D

Deleted member 74

I did think that shooting yourself if the foot (literally) was a possibility but didn't see how a normal shoe would stop the arrow so ruled that out as a reason.

No difference. I often shoot in bare feet or flip flops though, so I might just be used to it.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Does it say anything about open-heeled shoes? At least that way that way you get some ventilation.

sood

I'm only a virgin archer, but I would probably not wear flip flops as if the arrow slipped from the rest and you let the string go, or if you dropped an arrow, or stepped on one sticking out of the grass, it would probably hurt a lot (i know you lot probably wouldnt do so being experienced and all, but ive already dropped the arrow loads of times, and I know how clumsy i can be so i would put it past myself!)

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
sood said:
I'm only a virgin archer, but I would probably not wear flip flops as if the arrow slipped from the rest and you let the string go, or if you dropped an arrow, or stepped on one sticking out of the grass, it would probably hurt a lot (i know you lot probably wouldnt do so being experienced and all, but ive already dropped the arrow loads of times, and I know how clumsy i can be so i would put it past myself!)
Oh we do drop arrows!
In competitions theres a "3m line".... so when people drop arrows (as long as the arrow doesn't pass the line) they can still shoot another!

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I always assumed it was a 'in case you stub your toe on an arrow in the grass' kind of thing... Though I guess protection for when you're setting up, taking down bosses might also be an issue.

As to the 'shooting the foot' idea; I've only heard of that happening once. Apparently the guy had quite a dramatic pre-draw. I bet that held the competition up nicely :) 'please wait, while we detach the injured archer from the shooting line...'.

simon m

Ironman
First lump of shattered carbon you get in you instep will see you wearing solid shoes again pronto.

But I can see your point if your careful why no wear open toe foot wear?.

If GNAS were being sfatey consious regarding taking down equipment like bosses etc, we'd all be told to wear toe cap boots

Random_guy

I would think the issue is that if you're walking towards the target and an arrow that's fallen short stabs you in the foot, there's no guarentee its YOUR arrow, and they're probably worried about suing, insurance etc.

If you shoot yourself in the foot, it's your own stupid fault and they're probably covered! Equally if you do some serious damage not wearing an armguard.

Disclaimer: this is only a wild and fanciful guess, which may or may not bare any resemblence to the truth!

D

Deleted member 74

Do any of the GNAS members on this board know the real reason behind it?

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
307. Dress Regulations

(d) Footwear must be worn at all times during the tournament.

There is no mention of closed-toed footwear in the regs, only footwear.

Mick

Bald Eagle

Unless the ruling has changed, under GNAS rules, sandals are not permitted as acceptable footwear for shooting and personally, under health and safety,I aggree! Walking ito an arrow buried just under the surface can give you a nasty wound, ask Mrs B.E.!!! Also, sandals don't give a good "platform" for stance. A good pair of stout shoes etc etc etc !!!

SLOWHAND

I seem to recall seeing Larry Godfrey shooting in sandals at the indoor nats earlier in the year. Still, I suppose it would take a brave judge to tell an Olypic medalist that he wasn't properly dressed!

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
The ruling should ban socks worn with sandals!! :raspberry

I have seen plenty of people wearing open toed sandals at competitions over the past few weekends :melodrama

Stace

Another flip flop wearer - nice one.

I can't see any reason why shooting in flip flops shouldn't be allowed, in fact it should be encouraged as the soles are flat rather than having a raised instep allowing your body weight to be spread over a greater surface area.

Hey, there's a thread on here in the hints and tips section that advocated the removal of footwear to find arrows so wearing open toed shoes shouldn't be a problem.

Furface

Supporter
morphymick said:
307. Dress Regulations

(d) Footwear must be worn at all times during the tournament.

Mick
This is my favourite regulation. If a Double FITA is a single Tournament, does this mean you have to keep your shoes on in bed overnight?
grantwomack said:
Do any of the GNAS members on this board know the real reason behind it?
Leaving aside that most of us are GNAS members... The official response I got when I asked was the "arrows in the grass" one, followed up by "shooting your toes".
But would anyone like more rules or statements about safe practice? I suspect an addition to one of the "Handbooks" about safety (personal perhaps, not ground) in all its aspects, and taking these matters out of RoS would be an improvement.

cliveanne

Ironman
I have shot in sandals ( with No socks LMP) untill I had a close encounter with a small pile of fox Poo.:ill:
Nuff said

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
The official response I got when I asked was the "arrows in the grass" one, followed up by "shooting your toes".
Somehow, I suspect that most footwear wouldn't be terribly effective in the "protect the toes from being shot" department.... Mandatory Toetectors, anyone?

Anyway The "pin your foot to the ground" shot almost never happens. I've seen more hand damage from arrows than foot damage - Maybe I should suggest mandatory armoured gloves?