From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Cool. Very cool. I have to say, I love the carbon riser, be interesting to see what you make of yours. I did soften the blow of my costs a bit by immediately selling my old riser, and a whole bunch of other stuff that I'd been hanging on to for no particular reason.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
:D

My old riser - and pretty much everything else saleable - has long since found a new home.

One thing moving about a lot teaches you (My 2nd year in Amsterdam I had 13 addresses in 12 months!) is to de-clutter frequently. Even though I've been stable here in t' north for nearly 8 years now I'm still pretty ruthless about getting rid of anything that isn't immediately useful.

Yeah, really looking forward to having a carbon riser, thought that would be at least a couple of years away, but sometimes, just sometimes, the universe smiles on you. It'll be the end of the month before I can actually shoot with it but hey - patience is deffo a positive trait when it comes to archery, innit?

- Especially to score a top-end riser for less than I was planning to spend on an intermediate one!

Gonna post another pic, why not?

12113-FURY-CARBON-FURY-BLK-SILVER.png

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Ah, if it came from the Archery Shop, that's who I got mine from. Ex-demo sale.
Still very shiny (not actually shiny, but I'm sure you know what I mean.)

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Emma - The one I'm buying, I don't know where it came from - but it's only a couple of the Euro-dealers that seem to have it at all so it prolly did come from one of them (like almost everything else we buy) originally.

Chuffa - neither did I until I did a quick web-search! (Prolly the most informative was right here on our forum.)

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
A quiet Saturday (apart from the usual sportsball overdose ofc) so why not a sneaky pic of my 'new' & vital bit of archery kit - the one that takes me & the rest of the kit to the club!

She won't be taking over duties from the Pug until mid-week, I've driven her less than 2 miles so far but she does have a decent CD player ;)

...and isn't she just so huggable 🤗

Tempest 1.jpg

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Another PB, and a milestone one....
A 500 Portsmouth :D

(and on a 3-spot target at that!)

scorecard002.jpg

That's 49 points better than last Sunday & 7 better than my previous PB.

- Concentrating on both the deeper hook and the anchor point deffo made a difference.

Still plenty of improvement to come, ofc, but it's so nice to keep on pushing upwards :D

Shame the scores dude hasn't been around for about 3 weeks, he owes me quite a badge collection by now.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Brilliant, well done, on the 500 and the motor! She's very cute.
I had a good tournament on Sunday, shot 461 (Portsmouth), which is 30 points better than my best tournament last year, so very pleased with that. Since I've been suffering with the injury issues, my target was 450, so smashed that. Would have been more, but two-thirds of the way through I discovered my button had worked itself loose. D'oh!
I did have one brilliant arrow though...had a bouncer, so got to shoot that one again as the only person on the line, and with everyone watching me, drilled it straight through the centre of the 10. That's the arrow I'm most proud of all day, tbh.
Took hubbie along to his first ever archery compo, and he only went and won a trophy! So all round, a great Sunday afternoon. Next one, in two weeks (if it goes ahead), is a WA18, so we'll see how that goes. Target score will be 350, hoping I can better that.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Damned well done Emma (& hubby) :D

It's always a buzz when you're the last shooter, all eyes on you, and you totally NAIL it!

I have a WRS WA18 in a fortnight m'sel so hoping to get some good practice in before then. Not setting a target score yet though, until I get a feel for how I'm performing in practice.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Lion, I've got a question for you. Just changed my sight pin over to a Tawant, which comes with a default red glo-pin fitted - do you find a red or a green pin better?
Next shooting opportunity for me is a Frostbite on Sunday (school still closed for exams, how dare they!), so I'm thinking the red should be ok for that...first ever Frostbite (if it doesn't pee it down, obvs), so anything will be a PB!

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
OK, yes I have the Tawant but the tiny pins that it comes with are nowhere near bright enough for sports halls so I replaced them with Shibby long fibres.

I'm using red indoors, just going by the 'old rules' for laser sights (Green outdoors, red indoors) & it works OK for me. VERY clear & bright, a couple of others at the club have already done similar after trying mine :)

Just to have a quick rant...

I've just got back from a 'WeBuyAnyCar' appointment, what a bunch of total ******** :mad:

- Their face to face offer was only 40% of their online quote, no way Jose, very annoyed, just a complete waste of time for me & them. Told the dude that & gonna have a proper vent (uncensored) on TrustPilot later, I'll NEVER use them again & if anyone I know is thinking about it, I'll sit them down & talk them out of it. With a nocked arrow if needed!

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Friday night, and my first attempt at a WA18 ...

... MAN that's a tiny target!

...and it'll get even worse on Sunday, when I try the even-smaller triple-spot version, which I'll be shooting 'in anger' on 24th.

Didn't shoot as well as I know I could have, due to rushing to get 6 arrows/end off before the 3-shooters could give me too many dirty looks. Did end up 'spraying the target' a bit much though, as many 1's as X's, but no misses at least.

(After I'd completed I did a few more-relaxed 3-arrow ends & getting 1 to 2 points/arrow more, which augurs well for the future I suppose.)

But at least I have a benchmark score now - 399

scorecard005.jpg

The 'score guy' was there too - apparently all the badges & certificates are going to be doled out en masse at our chrimbo party, by our Lady Paramount. Details tbc in the next club newsletter.

It was also the 'maiden voyage' of the Micra, which proved a not-unpleasant experience despite the weather. For such a tiny engine (998cc) the wee beast held its' own admirably on the super-slab, at least as well as the Pug, perhaps slightly better in that I didn't have to drop to 4th for the big inclines. It doesn't have the fancy 'puters of the Pug but on first estimation it seems the fuel consumption is acceptably miserly, which will help a lot. (The less I have to spend on gas, the more I can spend on kit & compos :D )

The Pug is now on Facebook Marketplace, for £50 more than WBAC's online offer. Figure that's about fair. It's had almost 200 views in 2 days, but no serious offers yet.

ThomVis

... MAN that's a tiny target!

...and it'll get even worse on Sunday, when I try the even-smaller triple-spot version, which I'll be shooting 'in anger' on 24th.

Didn't shoot as well as I know I could have, due to rushing to get 6 arrows/end off before the 3-shooters could give me too many dirty looks.
You know the WA18 is a 3-shooter round?

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
You know the WA18 is a 3-shooter round?
After I'd completed I did a few more-relaxed 3-arrow ends & getting 1 to 2 points/arrow more, which augurs well for the future I suppose.
So, yes then.

The Pug has gone, the money will be in the bank in the morning, then the 2nd payment on the Kinetic Fury will be made - hoping it'll be here in time to give it a quick test on Friday but I won't be rushing to use it in the compo on 24th. I'll also be making a small Merlin order 2moz, the 'rainbow' nocks I was talking about earlier & some arrow lube.

Dog-walk, shower, lunch then off to the club. Laters, peeps :)

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
No scores written down, just concentration on form, timing & sight marks (which had changed surprisingly far in both axes since Friday).

For sure those teeny tiny 3-spot targets are a huge challenge for anyone not using a super-magnifying sight & a mechanical trigger! A couple of our more competent recurvers had an end or two at them too, out of curiosity I guess - selfies of their expressions would say more than words ever could, but... safeguarding an' a' that Bee Ess. If you've never seen a WA18 triple alongside a Portsmouth face on the same boss, you'll not likely understand, but I reckon it doesn't get any tougher than that, indoors anyway.

I actually shot far better than Friday, reckon I'm down to about 4" groups now, hoping to hit around the mid four hundreds next Sunday - nowhere near medal contention, going by the 2017 results (Unless there's another 'most reds' to be snaffled ;) ) but perhaps, just perhaps, an outside chance of a top-ten finish, as the cosmos wills.

- Just wish I could do a midweek session, Sun to Fri is just too long to go without lettin' some loose :(

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I shot a WA triple, barebow, in an indoor comp last year. I did ok on the top and middle faces but could not range in on the bottom one at all. It was just the same in practice before and afterwards when I tried to work out what was going on. Still haven’t to this day. Good luck next week!

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers mate :D

Yeah, weird how such a small vertical distance makes such a big difference to the aiming point, and nay, I haven't really worked it out m'sel yet - though I do have a 'working hypothesis' I hope to refine sufficiently before the compo to avoid embarrassment.

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Cheers mate :D

Yeah, weird how such a small vertical distance makes such a big difference to the aiming point, and nay, I haven't really worked it out m'sel yet - though I do have a 'working hypothesis' I hope to refine sufficiently before the compo to avoid embarrassment.
If you find the secret promise to share!