Gadgets for longbows

DavidH

Longbowmen (and women) don't tend to be gadget freaks but a look through the Ebay longbow section will find a little nock sock for your boots. It protects boots and protect the horn nock apparently. I particularly like the name of the company selling them;)

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I always thought that they were to protect your boots from the nock.

I guess it'll do both.

Insanity-Rocks

I do love my little gadgets! Will definitely be making a few of these. It'll be added to my collection of clips to attach drinks, binoculars, knife etc to my belt, hand warmers, head torch (for the especially dark shots), laser pointer, and random other little things that lives in my field quiver :)

Insanity-Rocks

I'm sure they are but why would you want to?
I've a very pointy bottom nock, so when shooting indoors I quite often stab myself in my foot... :duh: and when shooting outdoors my boots are rounded on top so there's nowhere to rest the bow. These would come in quite handy

Bald Eagle

I make these in black,brown and white (for trainers) for 50p!!! Just flat, round leather, with holes to attach them to your laces! Sold loads at field shoots, stops wear on your boots.

DavidH

Well I guess I'm outnumbered here, but when I rest my bow on my foot, I don't want to have to look down and see where to rest it, I just...rest it;) and what if you walk off forgetting its neatly placed in a pocket, snapped nock? Now an attachment to put a brolly on the top of the longbow for rainy days, that's what I call a gadget...

D

Deleted member 7654

It's what we call a 'problem creation exercise'
The horn nock is there to protect the wood , it doesn't need 'owt else.
If you put a boot on it, do you then need a titanium boot protector? and blimey you don't want your expensive titanium getting dirty, maybe a vinyl cover for that?
Reminds of the old joke...
Irishman (other nationalities are also available for comedic purposes) goes to the doctor with athletes foot.
Doc' says, be sure to put on clean socks every day.
By the end of the week he couldn't get his boots on :)
Del

DavidH

But I still love the name of the company making them;) like they are almost saying "yes we know its silly but we didn't tell you you had to buy it"

- - - Updated - - -

I make these in black,brown and white (for trainers) for 50p!!! Just flat, round leather, with holes to attach them to your laces! Sold loads at field shoots, stops wear on your boots.
But what about a protector to protect the protector:)

I have a confession to make, I only started this thread because no one was talking about longbows this week and to give a bit of light relief to balance some of the rather heavy threads right now...

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I was thinking about this and couldn't see the point of it. You only really rest your bow on your foot whilst someone is talking and your waiting with it, and besides generally in the outdoor season most archers just lean it against a stick of wood anyway (Some do have fold out stands so they lie vertically) so the tip is getting dirty.
Reminds me of a story I was told at a longbow shoot. There was a bowyer who was known for carving shapes for his bow tips, animal heads, castle towers etc. So since alot of longbowyers put their bops on their boots to avoid getting them dirty, he carved his bottom bow tip as a boot.