Gatherings of more than six in public spaces etc

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
So gatherings of more than six in public spaces parks etc is banned from Monday. Team sports are exempt but Archery is hardly a team sport. And given that the Oxford vaccine is now on hold and could be delayed months or worse, that's a double blow.

Last edited:

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
My (limited) understanding is that this is targeted at social gatherings rather than organised activities but I'm sure that agb will clarify.

And as for the Oxford vaccine pause, that's not unusual for drug tests; it's not even the first time that it's happened for the Oxford vaccine test.

Let's not get despondent (y)

Keep your spirits up (y)(y)(y)

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
My (limited) understanding is that this is targeted at social gatherings rather than organised activities but I'm sure that agb will clarify.

And as for the Oxford vaccine pause, that's not unusual for drug tests; it's not even the first time that it's happened for the Oxford vaccine test.

Let's not get despondent (y)

Keep your spirits up (y)(y)(y)b
Fingers crossed :) I tend to be both pesimistic and optimistic in that I hope for the best and prepare for the worst :)

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Pretty sure its to stop groups of friends getting together for parties etc, archery with proper social distancing should be fine, i hope.... considering we are about to start shooting again on our field on Saturday for the first time this year...

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
Archery tag could be seen as a team sport. But there again spitting on the face of the sponge or sharing arrows would be a no no.😉 Is archery not an Olympic team sport and by default club archery?

Last edited:

Steve1968

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I'm sure you guys in England will be ok to carry on shooting, I believe the new rules are to stop large public gatherings etc, so archery should be ok. Also you guys are on Archery GB phase 2, which means you can shoot indoors, us lot in Wales are still on phase 1, we can only shoot outdoors.
The area I'm in could be on local lockdown in a few days time if things don't start to improve soon (Rhondda Cynon Taf).

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I've read some of the Q&As and I'm actually less confident than I was. But still not sure. We really should have some guidance from AGB.

It doesn't matter to me in Scotland as the rule isn't in place but I'm sure that it will be soon with a few tweaks to the details to add a little confusion.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
It doesn't matter to me in Scotland as the rule isn't in place but I'm sure that it will be soon with a few tweaks to the details to add a little confusion.
And there we go. Cut to six people in Scotland with the added caveat of 'from two households' :rolleyes:

AndyW

If I understood their last message correctly our club has took the view of no more than 30 people indoors - so 5/6 per boss with bosses and walk ups separated by >2m. As usual though it seems a little half a*sed as they've not stated stick to the same boss (as they're at different distances) and folk will probably go a wandering to practice different distances.
Needless to say I won't be going.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Thanks for the update Whitehart. So shooting as normal, well as normal is these days. I hadn't realised tournaments had started. WRS WA50... it's pretty much all I've shot for the last three months as we don't move our target bosses. I've been shooting WA50s in the mid 630s to low 640's and was hoping the virus was going to keep heading downwards so I could get a couple of RS tournaments in safely but that's not going to happen now, gutted.
Hope 3m on my landing over the winter will be enough to keep this seasons gains topped up but I'm very doubtful :( I might modify the roof rafters in my workshop to let me shoot 6m there. Lockdown got my draw weight up from 37 to 44lbs which has really helped my barebow scores but these short distances don't show up differences between good form and really good form.

LAC Mark

I've just shot a WRS double WA50 at Woking Archery Club (the first WRS in the UK post lockdown), and if you'd shot 1200 you'd have won and gained a UK record or two.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I've just shot a WRS double WA50 at Woking Archery Club (the first WRS in the UK post lockdown), and if you'd shot 1200 you'd have won and gained a UK record or two.
I've just seen the results:( One round over 300. I thought it would be higher. But if you don't shoot it's all huff and puff :) Maybe next year.

JohnK

It's not a problem: just put some tweed on and if anyone takes issue, tell them you're grouse hunting.

LAC Mark

I've just seen the results:( One round over 300. I thought it would be higher. But if you don't shoot it's all huff and puff :) Maybe next year.
I found it tough going, I've been averaging 570's but have shot 627 so thought I stood a chance, but on the day I bombed badly.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I found it tough going, I've been averaging 570's but have shot 627 so thought I stood a chance, but on the day I bombed badly.
That's always going to be a possibility with no tournamounts to practice in. I think the best practice for tournamounts are tournamounts. Nothing else comes close.

LAC Mark

That's always going to be a possibility with no tournamounts to practice in. I think the best practice for tournamounts are tournamounts. Nothing else comes close.
Yes, agreed.
I had done a friendly a few weeks before (non RS) and put in a 576 to take the gold, so hopped I was ready.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
The wording is ORGANISED sports, not team sports.
Again, I'm sure this will be misreported and guidlines inflated to "rules".
Done a couple of clouts but cant claim any tassels because the competitions were effectively closed rather than open.
All you can do is keep plugging away and try and challenge the bad reporting.