Gold shyness

Dougal

Whats your best tip for getting past gold shyness? ( by that I mean an inability/reluctance to hold the shot long enough to aim/anchor consistently?)

J

josh 77

Hi Dougal,
I can't remember if you have one already but getting a clicker got rid of it for me.
Although I appreciate I haven't really addressed the issue as the clicker is basically coving up the problem.
There have been a load of threads about this which would be worth a look at. Just put Gold shy or target panic in the search and have a read :)
Hope you get it sorted soon!

Dougal

Thanks Josh I tried a search on gold shyness, didn't turn up anything. I'll try target panic, see what I get. And no, I don't have a clicker attached to my bow yet...:jaw-dropp

J

josh 77

Haha i still think it can be of use to me though :raspberry

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Thanks Josh I tried a search on gold shyness, didn't turn up anything. I'll try target panic, see what I get. And no, I don't have a clicker attached to my bow yet...:jaw-dropp
You didn't appear to have any issues yesterday :)muttering:muttering)

Woodie

A couple of our juniors have the problem of releasing before setting the reference correctly. To train them to hold until settled I get them to draw back as normal but not release until I tap the back of their draw hand. This seems to be working although if not done for long enough they do start drifting back to their old ways.
It is all about training the subconcious mind.
I have also used a clicker with another junior and it solved the problem as well.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Woodie ,I have seen this too. With juniors, beginners and some archers who have shot a year or so.
Sometimes it is just about not really taking care over details that are sometimes seen as "fussing".
Sometimes it is the confusion of the moment; specially first session beginners.
Sometimes it is a backwards step for an archer who has shot better and is getting into bad habits.

Dougal

thanks for the replies, as I said earlier , if I'd searched Target panic in the forums, I'd have found LOTS of info/opinion/discussion.

@darth, imagine how much I'd beat you by if I didn't have issues:raspberry:boggled::mind-blow

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Dougal

I have struggled with it on and off for sometime. It's worse shooting barebow if I let it get ahold of me. I have come up with a good solution to the problem (for me).

I simply tell myself that getting to my reference (anchor) point is not the end of the shot. After reaching the reference point, good and solid, I move my draw elbow back and towards behind my head. When I feel my draw arm shoulder moving down and in towards my spine I release. Try it, it might work for you.

Good luck :)