[Horsebow] Grozer bows - advice needed

Hudzi93

I've been looking at some Grozer bows recently and I've got my sights on the biocomposite laminated hungarian bow. It's also available in a short version, which I think I prefer but I'm wondering what the differences will be? If anyone has any knowledge/experience of the two types I'd really appreciate your opinions.

I'm also open to suggestions of different bow styles based on people's experiences.

Thanks

Secutor74

I believe the shorter versions offer shorter max draw lengths but you may want to check with Grozer.

Nice bows, I love mine.

Hudzi93

Yes, that's true, but does it have on affect the way it shoots?

I also like the turkish bows, but they're not really suited to a three finger draw. Which bow do you have?

Robny

I have a mongol from Grozer and love it. The bow shoots great although I dont do it justice. Don't think you can go wrong with a grozer.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hudzi93

From the things I'm reading, it seems that grozer bows have improved a lot over the past few years, especially since they brought out the new biocomposite bows. I've been looking at their 'stock' page and I've got my eye on a couple of the short hungarian biocomposites.

One thing I'm not sure of is the draw weight. Someone brought a mongol bow to our club. It was a 46# bow but it felt more like 35# or so when comparing to my old recurve.

Riceburner

From the things I'm reading, it seems that grozer bows have improved a lot over the past few years, especially since they brought out the new biocomposite bows. I've been looking at their 'stock' page and I've got my eye on a couple of the short hungarian biocomposites.

One thing I'm not sure of is the draw weight. Someone brought a mongol bow to our club. It was a 46# bow but it felt more like 35# or so when comparing to my old recurve.
They may be weighed at a longer draw, 30 - 32" or so.

Hudzi93

Some bows are, but I'm pretty sure this one was at 28". People say it's due to the siyahs giving more leverage, and so making it feel lighter than it is. I don't know if this is the case though as I've tried a 45# samick skb which also feels very light. For the samick, I've heard that it may be measured at 30" or so, but it does seem to shoot like a 45# bow though.

Secutor74

I also like the turkish bows, but they're not really suited to a three finger draw. Which bow do you have?
It shoots pretty well although my Arcus is a touch more precise, probably user issues rather than the bow as I think the very light weight makes it twitchy. My Grozer is the Laminate Sarmatian model, it is rated 38# but feels almost as heavy as my 50# bow.

Jeggie

Although your query has been answered by the other posters I have a couple of opinions on this subject.
(I have a Grozer old Scythian #45 and a Laminated Assyrian bow #50)

1. Longer bows are a little more forgiving with regards to release, shorter bows are often a little quicker (arrow speed).
2. If using thumb-draw then length is not too much of an issue, yet with mediterranean draw you can get finger-pinch on short bows.
3. As said before, draw length is a couple of inches longer with longer bows - that is vitally important if you want to learn thumb-draw, since the draw length is all the way to your cheek.

Ultimately, although horsebows are beautiful creatures, they are not massively efficient unless used with thumb-draw - and if you plan on learning that, then you will need a weak bow (#35 or less) to develop the skill.
Please don't let anything I said dissuade you from buying a Grozer though - I have nothing but good things to say about them, and Grozer bows themselves.

Hudzi93

Thanks for your reply. I've changed my mind about buying a grozer bow for the moment but I may consider buying one in the future. I ended up going down the selfbow route and bought one from a guy local to me who makes a few here and there as a hobby. I also recently bought another on eBay which I'm yet to shoot.

Riceburner

Why not?
If you're thinking that the short bow means it's not possible (due to the angles generated) then that's a matter for conjecture:
I shoot a 50" Samick Mind 50 with a 3-finger Mediterranean loose and it seems to handle it ok (maybe I just have thin fingers?)

Hudzi93

Why not?
If you're thinking that the short bow means it's not possible (due to the angles generated) then that's a matter for conjecture:
I shoot a 50" Samick Mind 50 with a 3-finger Mediterranean loose and it seems to handle it ok (maybe I just have thin fingers?)
The turkish bows can be shot with a 3-finger draw but they're more sensitive/unstable than the longer bows from what I've heard.