Heads up on True ball Release aids

Apollo

Ironman
Hello

Just a heads up on a prob that can come up with the talon head on trueball release aid. As we have been all having to shoot in some very bad weather this summer my release got wet(very very wet). Due to work it didnt see the light of day for a week and at the next shoot it failed on me. Its quite unnerving when you hear the click and it does not go off,after this the talon would not click home. I have been using this release for 3 years through all weathers so why now? As an engineer one look inside the talon head confirmed what i expected to see,rusty ball and greese that had seen better days( I know i should have checked this at some point but i tend to go with if its not broke dont fix it). It was just gummed up ( no wear in the small groove that the ball runs in) so 1st off i cleaned the rust off the ball bearing with "brasso" then i cleaned the small shaft that triggers the ball in the head (also clean bore that the shaft runs through).That done its just a case of putting in some new greese( you can get small tube from fishing tackle shops as this is ideal for the job). If you dont want to split the handle you can get some greese into the pivot points with a small blade (200+ shots so far ).

Hope this is of help to some of you and it would be good to hear from anyone with problems that they had fixed .

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Nice one Apollo.Checking what's inside is a good thing. I have had a problem with my Chocolate Lite. The trigger was working in stages rather than one smooth action. Some of the internals were in need of a bit of rubbing into shape.
It might be worth noting here that if the EVO type is lunbricated, as the lube wears off, the tension required to activate it, will rise. Not something you want!!
Keep the insides clean and dry and free from lube was my way round that one.

Apollo

Ironman
+

Thanks Jeff

As you say there are releases that would be affected by oil/greese/silicon ect .On the true ball the parts i listed are only to move the locking ball bearing from its seat, the actual tention is on the interface of the trigger lever and the cocking bar.