Heavy Points or Pins on Big Shafts

wingate_52

ProPoints or ProPins on large diameter carbon shafts? Pointy or Parabolic? Is one better than the other. Will there be less deflection with one type? To be used indoors 180gn weight points with 4"X-Vanes on the rear.

potnoodle

If your shooting compound the pins'll give you less glance out on single spot faces, and can actually reduce boss damage due to the way they enter the target a little cleaner. If you're shooting a recurve, I'd go with the parabolic, as they come through the clicker a little better (less burr), and recurves aren't usually as fussy about glance outs.

wingate_52

I shot both types on the recurve with Fatboy shafts and favoured the pins. Now shooting compound with X-Busters, just deciding what to get. Must make sure to get extra collars and nock pin inserts.

wingate_52

My mentor John suggests Parabolic Points as they are a little more robust and the thin Pointy Pins can sustain damage and their points may go off centre. Point taken, thanks John.

Flying Whale

My mentor John suggests Parabolic Points as they are a little more robust and the thin Pointy Pins can sustain damage and their points may go off centre. Point taken, thanks John.
Shoot which you like. I wouldn't worry too much about the points.

I hit a flint in one of our straw targets (thanks Egertec!!!). It was about 2 cm in size. Made a hell of a bang. It did slightly bend the very tip, but it has not affected the flight at all (or the penetration).

M

Moose

Rubbish, I have shot them in to numerous stand legs through the boss and unlike the parabolic the also spread the wood and seem to be easier to get out no damage to the pins they are hard as nails and the pointy bit is not exactly fine but quite substantial.

220gn pins in 2314 x7. @ 28" from a 56lb Mathews prestige

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I'm shooting 300gr pins from my recurve.....not had any problems with the clicker etc.

The big benefit of the pins is that thye look waaaaaay cooler!!!