High Grip / Low Grip

radsbow

Has anyone got any pictures or know of any references online that can show me the differences in a high or low grip?</p>

Basically I have no idea what type of grip I use. What I do know is that it sometimes lets me down in consistency.?On o<span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: " ar-sa?="" mso-bidi-language:="" en-us;="" mso-fareast-language:="" en-gb;="" mso-ansi-language:="" roman?;="" new="" ?times="" mso-bidi-font-family:="" times="">ccasions</span> the bow will fall forwards in front of me and other times just tap my leg and on the?other occasions fall behind me.</p>

All help greatly appreciated.</p>

Barry C

Nearly all bows come with medium grips. I dont think the way the bow falls is determined by grip shape, if you have arelaxed hand and wrist it should be consistant.

joetapley

Has anyone got any pictures or know of any references online that can show me the differences in a high or low grip?
Never seen such. If you imagine a line along the back of your (bow) hand that runs along the forearm. If this is a straight line that's a high grip. If the angle at the wrist is about 70 degrees that's a low grip. Somewhere between the two is a medium grip.

radsbow

Cheers Joe... </p>

Its coming together now! With what you said and a look at the 'Simple Art of Winning' (must have missed the pictures?on page 27) I now understand and can see the difference.</p>

Many thanks.?</p>

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
Hi Radsbow, I've been working on the same problem. The coach at my club suggested I use the bottom limb hitting my leg as a "reference point" to determine whether my bow arm was consistent. This never seemed to work - the bow would variously hit my leg, land in my pocket, hit me under the chin :eek: - so I started bending my wrist after the shot, so the bow would swing round clear of my body.
Only problem was that the wrist-bending movement crept into the shot and I started dropping arrows to the right :( . I've since been trying to work on keeping a steady wrist and sod where the bow goes after the shot - it's largely irrelevant as the arrow's already gone! Hopefully, in time, the bow's movement will become more consistent. :) :eek:

radsbow

Gold Finger, I know exactly where you are coming from. The amount of times I had the bloody bow tip in my pocket at the weekend :) ...and I too, in the past few months,?moved my?wrist to allow the bow to swing in front of my body, but was soon told to stop doing it - even though I was getting great golds in indoors :)</p>

I'll just keep working on it - thx.</p>

Barry C

If you have a strong push your bow will be less inclined to go any direction other than forwards upon release (providing your wrist and hand is relaxed). The simple art of winning doesnt explain it very well, but you need to increase pressure forwards as you pull. Push pull.</p>

Shirt

Inclined to disagree, Barry... well, not disagree, more qualify.

If you have a strong push that continues to expand with the shot your bow will be less inclined to go any direction other than forwards upon release. If you've run out of pushing/reaching room, your arm will go sideways towards your back. This is what mine was doing last year, and it's not necessarily a good thing.

Personally, I much prefer low grips because I can point the damn thing, as opposed to the "wandy" sensation that I got when I tried a high grip. That said, the W&W Infinite has always felt nice when I've been able to touch it...

joetapley

The amount of times I had the bloody bow tip in my pocket at the weekend
That's good! Now if you lean forwards slightly (weight mainly on the balls of the feet) then the bow will rotate in front of the body. The hard bit (at least for me) is keeping the bow hand up.

PS on release the bow goes backwards not forwards. (aka recoil)

Barry C

I dont mean push to get through the clicker shirt, i mean a strong line of force from your bow shoulder and arm into the centre of the target. I did a little work with this a few sessions with an ex olympic archer and it is very good advice. Worked for him, worked for me :)

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Here's one I made earlier... :)</p>

Barry C

What bow do you shoot? Is it a factory grip? Not many firms produce low grips anymore. Hoyt made one a long long time ago, most are medium these days.

radsbow

Its a standard Exfeel Grip - so does that mean I'm a medium and not a low?grip? oh what fun and games :)</p>

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
radsbow - 11/6/2005 7:58 AM

Its a standard Exfeel Grip - so does that mean I'm a medium and not a low?grip? oh what fun and games :)</p>
</p>

It's gripping stuff :)</p>

<sub>*Hat, coat, leaves....*</sub></p>

Barry C

Standard Exfeel is a medium, but W&W medium is a few degrees higher than a Hoyt medium. I have a Hoyt low, medium and high grip at home. I'll try to take a photo and show you (If I can find them!) :)