How do other clubs arrange shooting time?

Our cub shoots everyone together at the line from 20yrds to 100yrds. the twenty yarders will fire off 6 arrows in about 30 seconds and then everyone has to wait for the advanced ones to finish. There is then of course the arrow finding, could be ten mins per end at times. Translate that into a 2hr evening club shoot and you'll be able to shoot what everyone else does. just joined the club, be interested to know how other clubs arrange the shooting?

ben tarrow

After a number of people moaning, our club instigated a code of practise for searching for lost arrows. That includes a max 5 minutes between ends searching, searches must start immediately on arrival at the target with a metal detector (get someone else to score and pull your arrows), leave metal detectors near the targets as a MD on the shooting line is no good to anyone, and other bits like that that just keep the delays to a minimum.
Having the rules overrides people's reluctance to call of searches and empowers them to say "ok, lets leave this for now and look again next end, or after shooting"
So far it seems to be going well.

As for some archers shhoting 6 arrows quicker than others, or having a longer walk to collect, thats just life

Aleatorian

Having a decently wide enough field, we have 3 distinct shooting areas, each with a specified distance range which can be shot in that area. 22yds segregation between each area allows them to shoot independently.

Everyone arrows has to be found before the end of the session, but everyone at the club is briefed that if the search is taking too long after each end, to call and shoot the next end. They are there to shoot after all, not spend the evening looking for each others arrows.
Thankfully, most people are at a level where they tend to be competent at the distance they choose to shoot, and then progressing to the further distance once they feel very comfortable (talking like red and in, for recurves/compounds).

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Get a metal detector. Learn how to use it. Give it 3 minutes max to look for lost arrows, if not search again next time.

ben tarrow

Having a decently wide enough field, we have 3 distinct shooting areas, each with a specified distance range which can be shot in that area. 22yds segregation between each area allows them to shoot independently.

Everyone arrows has to be found before the end of the session, but everyone at the club is briefed that if the search is taking too long after each end, to call and shoot the next end. They are there to shoot after all, not spend the evening looking for each others arrows.
Thankfully, most people are at a level where they tend to be competent at the distance they choose to shoot, and then progressing to the further distance once they feel very comfortable (talking like red and in, for recurves/compounds).
Bearing in mind of course that the 22 yard gap between ranges has to be a dedicated "no mans land" and should be roped off according to AGB

ieuan_johns

We shoot on a rugby/cricket pitch so all arrows must be found. Thus we've taken the decision to have one line, those on shorter distances don't head back and wait around the shooting line, they get their arrows and then continue up the field to help if anyone else has missed one. We do on occasion have need to call "next end" and continue the search later, but with enough people looking those are few and far between.

The only exception to this is when we have a beginners course, in which case we run two lines (with a DMZ) with separate field captains. Personally I've never liked this setup because it feels wrong to be on the field when the whistle is blown for the other line but that's a personal thing.

I can't even begin to think of the problems that regular multiple lines would cause. Would come people try to avoid the longbows so they dont have to search? Would it be separated by distance which would have the effect of splitting the club into cliques?

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
We also have a shared field so we have to find arrows, but we only have one shooting line. On club nights it's set up a boss at a distance you want and shoot it, if you have to wait for people shooting 100yds to get there arrows whilst you've shot at 60yds and you're already back then that is life.

On club shoot nights, we encourage people to shoot the designated round or variant of, then we can sync the ends and target movement but you'll still have to wait until people are back before continuing. But it is down to the field captain to keep things moving, so like others bit of lost arrow searching time and if you can't find it, we'll try next end. Being a cricket pitch we can find most arrows easily as they just skid further, though a number of times compound/ higher poundage recurve arrows have tunneled.

Corax67

Our field is a shared facility so all arrows must be found before end of play.

We have two distinct and separate areas of shooting - adjacent to our storage containers is our beginners & coaching area, max range 50yds with no compounds permitted to comply with overshoot rules.

Main line set up further up our field and has targets set at 100, 80, 60, 50 & 40 yds - this is for experienced and intermediate shooters alike. We all accept that longbows will be quicker than recurves and everyone quicker than compounds (haha) but an end doesn't take that long really.

Arrow finding is straight onto a metal detector or two, five minutes flat out checking with ALL targets helping - if we cannot find within 5 minutes then archer shoots a spare next end and we look again each end until it's found.

Works really well and no one gets annoyed through waiting since they all know if it's their arrow next time everyone will pile in to look.

Karl

It's interesting to hear the differences. I think our clubs system of one line brings all the archers together and helps to dispel the us and them attitude of beginners/intermediate and advanced. However being really new to the sport its amusing to see the invisible divide between those that compete and those that want to just turn up and have a natter and plonk away with a few arrows. I'm sure its the same in any club. There's also a divide between those that set up and put away the targets and those that conveniently avoid both! I'm really enjoying it and trying to get on with everyone.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think our clubs system of one line brings all the archers together and helps to dispel the us and them attitude of beginners/intermediate and advanced.
I think that is a very important aspect of shooting line organisation. Before the 252 scheme was brought in at the club where I shoot, that was the norm. Now there are archers at different levels and shooting at different sections along a line but not all collecting together. That seems to separate the members into small groups. The problem can be that newer archers rarely shoot alongside more experienced or more advanced archers.
A lot of learning can take place when newer archers shoot on the same target with better archers. Also, the way the club operates can be passed on to newer archers without having to seem officious about it.
I think it is important for new members to feel they have joined a club and not a sub section of it. Better archers, shooting,100y and taking twice as long as the new guys can seem like a delay in proceedings, but that can be managed if the will is there.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
we can divide out field into 2 so for example on saturdays we have juniors and or beginners shooting at short distances and anyone who wants to shoot further than about 40 yrds uses the other half. In winter it is common for most people to shoot frostbites on a regular basis so no great amount of waiting around anways.
Another observation I have made is that the older members tend to stick to less than 60 yds normally and by the time us relative youngsters have waked to 100yds and found our arrows and walked back again we arent the last crossing the line.

Corax67

It's interesting to hear the differences. I think our clubs system of one line brings all the archers together and helps to dispel the us and them attitude of beginners/intermediate and advanced. However being really new to the sport its amusing to see the invisible divide between those that compete and those that want to just turn up and have a natter and plonk away with a few arrows. I'm sure its the same in any club. There's also a divide between those that set up and put away the targets and those that conveniently avoid both! I'm really enjoying it and trying to get on with everyone.

Although it can dispel the them/us feeling it can also be negative having one line as the beginners, especially juniors, can easily be lost amongst the throng and loathe to ask for help & assistance where they would do so amongst a much smaller group of their peers on a separate line.

Ultimately it's whatever works in your own club and fits in with whatever facilities are available.

Karl