How do you know if you?re over bowed?

D

Deleted member 7654

Your shoulders are aching and your performance drops off considerably at the end of the day... even after administering emergency tea and cake.
Del

If you can shoot all day say 15-20 dozen and produce the same results at the end of the day as at the start then it’s poor form , find yourself a good coach . If you can only shoot 3 dozen with the last dozen going to s##t your over bowed , buy some limbs 10 lbs lighter than you have and find a good coach

Corax67

If you are soaking wet and your boat is sailing away without you then you are definitely overboard

Karl

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have no idea what I look like when I shoot. I suspect most of the problems are in my mind, for example:

Last night I went to the outside target range instead of going for beers with a departing work colleague ( went for beer tonight instead..) The first 2 rounds were very poor( 12 arrows, they shoot 6 a round here)
Next 2 went over and under the boss at 35 metres. I thought “I should have gone drinking beer” when I was shooting the next 3. I should point out it does take a little time to think of drinking beer in the sunshine at Nyhavn, if you’ve done this you’ll know it’s an experience to savour. Those 3 were the best group I’ve shot in a long while. The remaining arrow was on the boss, I’d stopped thinking of beer by the time that one was shot.
After that things were fairly erratic and I ended up loosing an arrow. In a 100 meter gravel rifle range..

Thinking about it, I’m doing a lot of things differently:
-shooting after a day at work which Im not used to.
- shooting on an open, outside target range with gun shot noise from rifle and pistol ranges on both sides.
- shooting in shorts and tee shirt instead of layered fleece. ( lovely feeling apart from being too hot)
- shooting the same target over and over.

Maybe I just need to acclimatise

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Take a short video of yourself shooting and look at it or let others look at it.
Chances are, if you went to a coach for help , the coach would want to watch you shooting.
A video is next best thing.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
That's actually an interesting question, because the two produce similar results. And the unfortunate answer is: if your form is okay, but produces the symptoms then you're probably over bowed...
But it's a relative kind of diagnosis, as more practice can remove the problem. More correctly, I would guess that it's usually "over bowed for your current level of shooting fitness"...

D

Deleted member 7654

Maybe you are just going through the motions with no real motivation or shot plan...
I don't shoot target...no motivation to shoot the same target at the same range constantly.
With field, every shot is a different range, a different target, a different stance, different lighting. You have to engage with the shot.
It's easy to just bang off endless arrows without any benefit on a range.
There is tongue in cheek theory that says...
I don't practice, 'cos if I'm I shooting well, I don't want to waste the good shots, and if I'm shooting badly, there's no point in practicing doing it badly.
Del :)

AndyW

There is tongue in cheek theory that says...
I don't practice, 'cos if I'm I shooting well, I don't want to waste the good shots, and if I'm shooting badly, there's no point in practicing doing it badly.
Del :)
Not so tongue in cheek with me as I will not practice for a couple of days before a shoot because it puts me off. I think it's due to the lighting in our club wood doing weird things with my distance judgement. Whatever it is I can quite easily have a nightmare if I've gone down our own wood.

vivilanco

Not so tongue in cheek with me as I will not practice for a couple of days before a shoot because it puts me off. I think it's due to the lighting in our club wood doing weird things with my distance judgement. Whatever it is I can quite easily have a nightmare if I've gone down our own wood.
Did you practice down the wood before the 3Ds? :p

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Maybe you are just going through the motions with no real motivation or shot plan...
I don't shoot target...
Neither do I - but needs must.. I’m currently out of UK for a month working so took the bow in the hope of finding somewhere to shoot and lucked out by meeting a really friendly, welcoming club.
I’m going to use the range time to try and lock in some consistency to my shooting. I do find it strange shooting the same target over and over but am going to use that constant to try and get everything else repeating.
I’m going to look at a cheap, light poundage bow tomorrow and might invest.The Mrs will never know...

AndyW

Did you practice down the wood before the 3Ds? :p
Ha. Very good. No, that abysmal performance was entirely my own doing. I probably could have done the second day after my knee went pop but with 6 arrows left and shooting like a tool crab fishing in Brixham harbour was far more appealing.
That's my story anyway.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I do find archery even more random in results than any other sport.
One day I seem to have "the eye" the next I'm a pile of turd.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I read somewhere that if you draw the bow and hold for 10 secs. Relax. Draw again and hold for 10 secs.

If you can repeat this sequence 10 times the draw weight should be OK for you. If not!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I read somewhere that if you draw the bow and hold for 10 secs. Relax. Draw again and hold for 10 secs.

If you can repeat this sequence 10 times the draw weight should be OK for you. If not!
Coming from a lifetime of weights, I reckon that would actually be really darn hard.

Let's say you have a 50lbs (well 52lbs for me) compound; that's 500lbs of just pulling, around 250lbs drawn weight for a total of 1 minute 40 second and with almost no rest.

I honestly think that would be very tricky yet have no problems pulling that weight in competitions (when I don't get the dreaded wobbles).

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Shot a 35 lb bow last night instead of my own 45 lb bow.

Found I could focus more on how I was lining myself up and thought I was maybe slightly more consistent- given it was the first time Id shot that bow.

The major benefit was not having to walk so far to collect the ones that missed the boss...

Other observations :

10 lbs makes a huge difference to range, the arrows run out of steam very suddenly.
Having the luxury of a long hold time at full draw isn’t necessarily conducive to accuracy..
Cheap bows are as accurate as expensive ones but don’t feel as nice to shoot.
I’ve a LOT to learn.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Coming from a lifetime of weights, I reckon that would actually be really darn hard.

Let's say you have a 50lbs (well 52lbs for me) compound; that's 500lbs of just pulling, around 250lbs drawn weight for a total of 1 minute 40 second and with almost no rest.

I honestly think that would be very tricky yet have no problems pulling that weight in competitions (when I don't get the dreaded wobbles).
I think the idea was to give you some idea of a comfortable weight to draw. Another source suggested sitting on a chair with your feet off the ground. If you could draw the bow without putting your feet on the ground that should also be OK.

I'm just repeating what others have written - I cannot confirm it's accuracy.