How do you tell what weight points are without removing them?

Insanity-Rocks

I've currently got two sets of second hand ACC's, the ones I've been using for a while that I've only got a few left, and 12 recently purchased ones. I've been told that there are probably 100gr points in my old set as they have two thin bands where the point meets the shaft, but I haven't checked to make sure. In the new set there's just the one quite wide band on the point, which I'm guessing means they're a different weight. Is there some sort of chart available saying what weights have what markings?

DavidH

Wouldn't be difficult to melt one off and weigh it. but then you'd haver to buy a grain scale:)

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
if you knew the total weight of the arrow and the individual weights of all the components, you could minus them from that and what's left is your answer... though it'd be a lot easier to go DavidH's way, just take one out and weight it!! ;)

joetapley

Measure the arrow FOC (location of balance point) lots of calculators around that will tell you the point weight.

Insanity-Rocks

Measure the arrow FOC (location of balance point) lots of calculators around that will tell you the point weight.
Could you link to one please? :) My FOC on my old arrows is 8%, and it's 10% on my new ones but I can't find anything to convert this to knowing point weight.

joetapley

Could you link to one please? :) My FOC on my old arrows is 8%, and it's 10% on my new ones but I can't find anything to convert this to knowing point weight.
Reasonable rule of thumb is that 10 grains equates to 1% FOC so assuming shafts are the same the 2% difference indicates point weights differ by 20 grains. 8% is unbelievably low for an ACC arrow shaft FOC though?

A G*** search under FOC calculator will turn up pages of calculators. The following is a link to my own arrow calculator. More work to install but
a) includes data properties for many arrow shafts
b) In addition to FOC will also give estimates for arrow speed, overall weight and other goodies.
http://www.tap46home.plus.com/mechanics/windrift.zip

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
ACC points AFAIAA are not break off - so you should be able to tell by the size of the nib - bigger nibb - heavier point...?

Insanity-Rocks

If I work it out from their FOC my old ones are 80gr and new ones are 100gr, but the points on my new arrows are smaller than the ones on my old ones...

I though the Foc was supposed to be between 7 and 15%?

john heff

AIUK Saviour
Like mk1 mentioned above, ACC points are not break-off. So, unless someone has filled the hollow shaft with solder you should be able to go by the length of the pile.

My ACC-28 points measure as follows:
125 gr = 18mm
100 gr = 15mm
80 gr = 12mm

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
If I work it out from their FOC my old ones are 80gr and new ones are 100gr, but the points on my new arrows are smaller than the ones on my old ones...

I though the Foc was supposed to be between 7 and 15%?
"supposed to be..." In the sense of "if you follow Easton's point weight recommendations"?
Because the usual opinion is - at least 14%, but really more or less as high as you can practically get.