How much "spine" does a pin nock add?

Mistake

Ironman
As the title says, does anyone know how much extra "spine"/ stiffness a pin nock adaptor adds to a shaft?

Asking in part due to curiosity but also because I'm considering what arrows to shoot indoors and/ or next outdoor season (I'll need to get a new set either way as I've broken three ACEs - only one through rock faces/ trees before you say anything Valkamai - already this year)

A quick squint at the Easton Catalogue suggests that on an X10, a pin+pin nock combo weighs 10 grains (8 for the pin and 2 for the nock), while an overnock weighs 6 grains, On an ACE, a G nock weighs 7 grains vs the 10 grains for pin and pin nock, so depending on shaft you are adding 3 to 4 grains of weight.

While it is at the back and has more impact than weight at the front, I would expect the effect to be nominal; less than that achieved by removing a single brass nock from the string. If someone fancies doing the maths though I would be intrigued!

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
My answer would be a *waft*, but you will notice it. I reckon 5gn at the back is worth roughly 10gn at the front (of a barrelled arrow, not sure on a parallel shaft).
I have used it to get a really nice clearance mucking about putting a pin under a Beiter overfit nock. I went from 110gn at the front and overnock at the back, to 120gn at the front and pin+overnock to the rear. At distance the little extra bit of mass noticeably improved groupings. I lost maybe a couple of stops at 70m on my sight track, but that's not a problem - I have an inch to spare at 100yds.
Adding weight at the back *seems* to help you hang on to your sight mark. If you add 10gn in the point you can mitigate sightmark loss with 5gn at the back. Of course added mass means less wind interference and better downrange grouping.

Valkamai

Mr Badger I would not have suggested that you would have damaged your arrows in any other way than with super tight groups with your spiffing shooting.

In answer to your question when I have tried changing to pin nocks from suicide nocks I have noticed little change in group size (barn door as it is I will admit). Even if they were a little stiffer it will give you an excuse to go the half century with your poundage.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Mark31121

Ironman
I tested* this at 100 yards with some triples and with or without the pin they were all grouping together - a bare shaft comparison (or a better archer) may show something

*by testing I mean that I forgot the arrows that i intended to shoot that day so cobbled together what I had in my case.

Mistake

Ironman
Mr Badger I would not have suggested that you would have damaged your arrows in any other way than with super tight groups with your spiffing shooting.

In answer to your question when I have tried changing to pin nocks from suicide nocks I have noticed little change in group size (barn door as it is I will admit). Even if they were a little stiffer it will give you an excuse to go the half century with your poundage.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk
Kind of why i'm asking.

It's a #### up between aces and nanos and both shoot great with pins (and I wouldn't want to shoot either with suicides, I know how many you've broken in the last 12 months doing so)

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk