How much weight?

j.v.

Hi there,

I'm curious as to how much weight folks are adding to their long rods / twins...

I just got a new SF ultimate 30" long rod, 10" twins and v-bar. I ordered 7 extra weights (0.8oz each) so that I could play around with them a bit, and found myself putting all of them on and wanting more. I thought this might be a bit too much, until reading about some whopping wieghts on...

cheers,

JV

joetapley

One approach is to say the all up bow weight is around the draw weight divided by 6.5-7. So e.g. with a 42 lb draw weight the bow weight would be around 6-7 lbs.

Slightly better approach is to add weights until the bow has neutral vertical torsion with respect to the bow hand (a weight balanced bow). With a conventional set up the weights on the long rod and each of the side rods are around equal. As you don't mention an extender you probably need more weight on the long rod than the twins for good dynamic stability but the all up weight being about the same.

j.v.

That's interesting; thanks. I don't use an extender at the moment, and would prefer not to - I guessed I could move the balance using the extra weights.

Ar-Pe-Lo

Hi,

I using 34" long rod with 7.3oz and 12" short rods with 3.9oz and 5.2oz and 3.9 oz back weight, no extender.....total weight of bow is 7.1lb, draw weight 42-46 (depend on limbs I shoot) and its feel neutral ballanced with slow roll after shot.

anmactire

I tend to agree with the guys here it seems. Set up is as follows:
30 inch long rod with 11 oz
12 inch side rods with 6 oz each.
Total bow mass of 6.6 lbs and draw weight of 46 lbs otf.
Centre of gravity is about 2 inches forward of the bow and 3 inches down from the throat of the grip, giving a pendulum effect and a moderate forward roll.

Lighter stabilisers and risers let you add this kind of weight to the rods without it getting uncomfortable, a heavier riser will of course mean that you're more limited by how much weight you can add to the rods. Rod stiffness will limit how much is sensible to put on there too, if it's flexing a lot then it's counterproductive to add more weight.

Get more weights if you feel you need more. It's no harm to have a couple spare ones hanging around but it's a pain to feel as though the stabilisers aren't right!

Easily Confused

I tend to agree with the guys here it seems. Set up is as follows:
30 inch long rod with 11 oz
12 inch side rods with 6 oz each.
Total bow mass of 6.6 lbs and draw weight of 46 lbs otf.
Centre of gravity is about 2 inches forward of the bow and 3 inches down from the throat of the grip, giving a pendulum effect and a moderate forward roll.
Sounds quite similar to mine! Only difference is that I'm using a 34 inch long rod and then putting my adjustable v-bar in the back weight bushing to move the COG back. I'm using a Helix which isn't the lightest riser around but I love the solid feeling of a heavy well balanced bow!