Barebow Hoyt Horizon riser - how "loose" is safe?

Dhansak

Hi All

Would appreciate some advise re tillering my Horizon please.

Up till now I have had 22lb limbs which were tightened right down to give me (I'm told) approx 24lbs on the fingers (I have a 28" draw length). I have just swapped up (via a limb exchange program) to 26lb limbs with the intention of loosening the tiller bolts as much as possible to bring it back down to 24lbs (approx) - then work up from there slowly. The main question is - how many turns is it safe to loosen the bolts on the Horizon?

I have found that winding from the tightest position to the bolts actually coming out is approx 11 and a bit turns. So - would I be right in guessing that this is a "10 turn riser"? i.e. if I was to turn the bolts 5 times from the tightest setting, this would be the "middle" - so a 26lb limb would be 26 (for its given draw length standard) at 5 turns?

In any case my main query is how loose can I go and be safe - I want to achieve the lowest poss weight on these limbs; how far can I go? Is 10 turns pushing it? (i.e. leaving only one and a bit turns before the limb would be unscrewed)

Thanks for your help as always!

Whitehart

5 full turns from fully in is fully out Hoyt say 6 but sometimes the limbs do not fit correctly with some limbs because of the angle of the detent

Dhansak

Thanks for that - disaster avoided! No more than six turns it is then...

So have I interpreted this correctly? Theoretically:

Fully locked down - will give approx +5% of stated limb weight
3 turns out - stated weight
6 turns out (and no further!) - minus 5% of stated weight

All of the above for Hoyt limbs.

Any idea of results for SF Axioms?

Cheers

OskarsL

-5% for Hoyt limbs. In my experience the minimum weight setting on a GMX riser with W&W limbs gives the nominal minimum of the limb.
Yeah I forgot to mention that its limb specific and not riser. It just depends on what bolt position the manufacturer marks the limb weight. :)