Hoyt Xpert wooden bow - set up help

Towliff

Hi All,

I am a good recurve archer with good technical skills and knowledge about recurve bows.

HOWEVER - I have picked up an older wooden bow and need to get this set up / tuned etc. Obviously as it is a one piece bow I am limited with what I can do. But I do need to know certain things to help.

Also, please could you let me know what type of bow it is? That would help a lot! Is it a flat bow, horsebow, traditional? Or just a stick?

Hoyt Xpert
64"
30lb

1. Brace height - what should the brace height range be for a Hoyt Xpert wooden bow?
2. Rest - There is currently a stick on leather rest similar in shape to a hoyt super rest. This needs changing. Should I put on one of those white Hoyt Super rests, or a Shibuya stick on, or just remove it all completely and shoot off the shelf?

Thanks for the help.

James

Attachments

Last edited:

Berny

A '60s classic & amongst the first imports from the USA by UK dealers/retailers.
Came to market in US in '60 & was being offered in UK by Lillywhites from '62.
Personally I think they're great & sweet shooting bows - I have 4 & did my first clout shoot with one back 2010.
It was also one of 2 bows that kick-started my bow-collecting mania! ;-)

Even in the US info on these is scarce e.g. production dates ....there were 3 revisions (at least),
x, 2x, 3x ....I see your's is a 2x with flat shelf, so easy to do any of your rest options - personally I tend to stick leather on mine
both as rest & arrow pass, although with your shelf a vertical feather rest would good & contemporary with it's manufacture date.

Early models had laminated handles & later ones solid.

Glass colours varied over the years which may help pinpoint manufacture year,
3 of mine have custard yellow (actual, not aged varnish) back & black belly.

I posted a bunch of pics & catalogue pages here (<--Click!)

196400-Hoyt-catalogue-Lemmes-p4_1-Xpert_yellow_black_glass-Scout.jpg
but here's something for now (from Hoyt '64 catalogue).

Last edited:

Towliff

Cheers Berny! Thats the exact type of info I was after - with a lot more about the history which is great :)

Mine has the custard yellow front, black/dark grey back - sounds like yours. It does shoot really smoothly. Part of that is the nice light 30lb draw.

I think I will stick on one of those Hoyt super rest white plastic jobbies. Or, you mentioned putting leather on yours. Is that just a bit of leather on the bottom for the arrow to sit on, and a bit of leather on the side for the arrow to push against (instead of the wood). Sorry, I am completely alien to traditional bow set ups.

And yes, it might not be 100% wood, but the majority is, so I'm sticking with wooden bow! hahaha. Or maybe hybrid wood/composite. :D

Berny

Cheers Berny! Thats the exact type of info I was after - with a lot more about the history which is great :)

Mine has the custard yellow front, black/dark grey back - sounds like yours. It does shoot really smoothly. Part of that is the nice light 30lb draw.

I think I will stick on one of those Hoyt super rest white plastic jobbies. Or, you mentioned putting leather on yours. Is that just a bit of leather on the bottom for the arrow to sit on, and a bit of leather on the side for the arrow to push against (instead of the wood). Sorry, I am completely alien to traditional bow set ups.

And yes, it might not be 100% wood, but the majority is, so I'm sticking with wooden bow! hahaha. Or maybe hybrid wood/composite. :D
Click my link in my first post for more info.
That looks like an original Hoyt Pro rest already on it - if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Brace height is to pivot, start at lowest.
....& yes to leather .... can you make it out in this pic?
10985905_837053299714814_5709240125258100930_n[1].jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7654

The bit that generates the power isn't wood.
It's like saying I've got a rubber car 'cos the bits that put the power onto the road are rubber.
Del

Towliff

Ahh I didn't see your link before! Thanks, that is a great load of information there :)

The rest on mine is unfortunately broken. It has a lot of vertical movement. Probably wear and tear from over the years. So I definitely need to replace it. I think I will put on a Hoyt super rest to keep the arrow height the same. If that has a lot of wiggle, I will build up a dense leather pad for it to sit on. I can see the leather you mentioned in the pic, so could do something similar.

English Bowman

One thing I'd add to this be careful what string you use on this bow, don't use a modern non stretch material, stick to Dacron B50 or similar, also don't use carbon arrows. The bow wasn't built to take the stress of a non stretch string and carbon arrows and using them will cause damage, possibly catastrophic limb failure.

As for a rest I'd use a stick on rest like the plastic Hoyt rest. The bow was designed to use one.