I got a Border!!

Dr.Bob

OK, it's far from new, nearly the same vintage as me in fact, but I don't care, it's a Border :) :) :) :cake: :beer: :cake2: :beer: all round!!

Dr.Bob

OK, it's far from new, nearly the same vintage as me in fact, but I don't care, it's a Border :) :) :) :cake: :beer: :cake2: :beer: all round!!
And now ebay tells me it has been posted :) woo! Not long now until I find out _what_ sort of Border it is that I've bought, pretty sure it's a Reiver from the picture I saw.

Dr.Bob

OK OK :) give me a while to clean it up first. And to scowl at the screw-holes in the wood where someone attached sights.........

Dr.Bob

Looks niiiiiice!!! :thumbsup:
It is lovely, and I am deeply chuffed with it :)

Believe it or not, as well as holes for a screw-on sight, the previous owner has __SCRATCHED__ sight marks into the varnish down the edge of the cut-out.

I am still deeply chuffed, even with holes and scratches.

BorderBows

if i have my dates right then the guy that shapped the riser still works at Border. Hes our Production Director.

Worked for Border for over 40 years.

Dr.Bob

if i have my dates right then the guy that shapped the riser still works at Border. Hes our Production Director.

He did a cracking job, it's still in fab condition :) and I get to give it a proper test this evening, as long as the weather holds out....

BorderBows

He did a cracking job, it's still in fab condition :) and I get to give it a proper test this evening, as long as the weather holds out....
i would use Dacron string and arrow weights that suit that era. above 7grains per pound of bow weight.
in those days it was wood or ali...

That keeps you above 7gpp. 8-9gpp would keep you safe

Dr.Bob

i would use Dacron string and arrow weights that suit that era. above 7grains per pound of bow weight.
in those days it was wood or ali...

That keeps you above 7gpp. 8-9gpp would keep you safe
Thanks for the advice, already went for a Dacron string (cheaper, I am a very low-budget archer ;) ) and as for arrows, my only option is the set I've already got, handily they are 370gn SkyArt Flames, so I'm a gnat's under 10gpp, should be fine.

Now all I have to do is wait until half past six this evening.............

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot

That was the same as with my old Kings of Kelso bow.....

When you've got someone who's been there 40yrs, as a company your obviously doing something right!!!

Dr.Bob

Border do *lots* of things right :)

Wondering slightly about brace heights now, range is from 8 1/4" with no twists in the string ( or twits as I just mis-typed, definitely no twits in my string, there's just the twit pulling it ;) ) up to about 9" with plenty of twisty, I was going to put it at 8 1/2" and work from there. It's a 64" string, btw, didn't think I needed to go over-size as the recurve in the limbs isn't nearly as extreme as with current models.

BorderBows

Border do *lots* of things right :)

Wondering slightly about brace heights now, range is from 8 1/4" with no twists in the string ( or twits as I just mis-typed, definitely no twits in my string, there's just the twit pulling it ;) ) up to about 9" with plenty of twisty, I was going to put it at 8 1/2" and work from there. It's a 64" string, btw, didn't think I needed to go over-size as the recurve in the limbs isn't nearly as extreme as with current models.
im no guru on these bows, I was learning to talk at the time they were built.
but about 8" sounds like it would work.

(no comments about my spelling/needing to learn more) lol

Dr.Bob

I was learning to talk at the time they were built.
Same here nearly, the bow isn't that much younger than me.

And it has been shot now!!!! It's fab :) got two out of my first three arrows to land on the 60 yard target! And no, I -wasn't- aiming for the 30yd ;) Pretty chuffed for my first shoot with it, only had 5 or 6 misses all evening, which is good going for me.