In the spirit of Geoff's thread....

chuffalump

Has anyone ever fitted a recurve grip to a compound? My W&W riser grip is a fraction too narrow to slide on smoothly. Are any other manufacturers risers a little thicker at the grip attachment?

Its not that I want to drill and tap the compound but it would be nice to experiment. The compound riser is around 16mm thick. Any grip would probably need 'fettling' and I know that wrapping bar tape and spacers could do a similar job but humour me 😆

Stretch

Direct answer is no. Underlying thought process starts and ends with why? But ignoring that I can tell you that current Hoyt plastic grips are a little over 16mm. (Some of the laminated wood grips are a little under 16mm). Older Hoyt Avalon style grips vary but seem a little wider. I also have an old Yamaha EX grip that is 17mm.

Dremel, plastic sheet and Miliput might be an easier route.

Have fun. Don’t shoot anybody.

Stretch

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
This was on one of my bows. It is a bit like a recurve grip. The inner layer is quite hard plastic and the outer has soft feel. The width of the cut out is 17mm.
You can have it and make it fit.... Geoff

chuffalump

Thanks for the offer Geoff but it was the higher wrist position and wider profile of the recurve grip I was thinking about playing with. I noticed that the bar taped grip of my budget compound seemed less prone to vagueness in hand position. Or maybe the word should be 'choice' rather than 'vagueness'. Pretty sure my club has a Hoyt riser (thanks Stetch) somewhere. I'll send a few texts.

In these times of cancelled shooting I remembered asking an old clubmate years ago, why recurves had higher, chunkier grips than his compound. Only for him to show me his taped and shaped compound grip, looking exactly like a recurve item. Its not that my grip changes (I think). However, it is easy TO change it. So.....

Its more of a whim. I may still have some sugru (same job as milliput) but if a complete grip fits....